Light Brahma Chicks

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by carniven, Jun 7, 2011.

1. carniven

carniven Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2009
    Cape Cod
    I bought some light brahma chicks, but I'm questioning whether they really are brahmas. Is it possible for brahma chicks to have featherless legs?

2. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    No all brahmas have feathered feet even newly hatched

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Sometimes poor quality brahmas will have featherless legs. How do I know? I've gotten hatching eggs before from ebay, some hatched with feathers on their legs and acouple did not!!! I suspected the seller of having hatchery birds and not the quality pics she showed on her auctions! lol [​IMG]

4. carniven

Mar 14, 2009
    Cape Cod
    One of the chicks must be an Araucana. It has fluffy cheeks and green legs. The other one has green legs but lacks the feathery cheeks. I bought six chicks altogether, 2 silver-laced wyandottes and two red stars with my Brahmas-turned Araucanas. One of the red stars is half the size of her flock sisters. She's eating, drinking and seems healthy. I'm wondering if she is a bantam red star (if one exists). I guess the help at the feed store needs some lessons in identifying their chicks. Have you ever heard of a bantam red star?

5. carniven

Mar 14, 2009
    Cape Cod
    These two red stars were purchased the same day. Look at the difference in size. Can they really be the same breed?
    [​IMG]

6. Angelwings

Angelwings Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2012
    The one on the right looks like my Buff Orpington.

7. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

If you got them from a feed store, is it possible that the bigger one came in a few days or a week earlier?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by