light brahma, male or female?

lothefarmer

Chirping
9 Years
Oct 9, 2010
CA
i bought some chicks about two weeks ago from a feed store, all but the bantams were sexed as pullets, but i have a feeling the light brahma we picked up may be a male. they are living with some slightly older chicks, who were unsexed, and i'm absolutely sure that there are males in that bunch. the light brahma is the most aggressive out of all of the ones we most recently got, and he/she is squabbling just a little bit with the bigger boys. is she just sticking up for herself, or could she possibly be a boy?

kco6ki.jpg

sonxaw.jpg

are there any visual clues?

With that tiny tail and those long wings I'd lean towards cockerel at this point, but it is hard with the Brahmas. I have some that are now almost 4 1/2 months and they still keep me guessing at times.

I am raising 7 Light Brahmas. I have had them since they were 8 wks old. At 8 weeks they were pure white and already had their brahma makings of a varigated white and black head to neck and a black tail. Your chicken does not in any way resemble the light brahmas I have. Could it be a Buff Brahma?

by the way, the man who sold it to me said it was a light brahma, and i have never seen a light brahma chick, only dark.

Quote:
I'm not sure what it is. The lacing on the feathers look like dark brahma, but the rest of the bird doesn't. Let me see if I can find some old pics for you, when my adult flock were chicks. BRB

Quote:
I'm not sure what it is. The lacing on the feathers look like dark brahma, but the rest of the bird doesn't. Let me see if I can find some old pics for you, when my adult flock were chicks. BRB

okay, thank you. :)

Okay, here's some pics for you. All these pics were taken when my adult brahmas were 5 weeks old, except for the one of the two lights roosting on the side of their brooder. Those two were about 3 weeks old when the pic was taken. And btw, I don't think your chick is a buff either. The coloring is all wrong. Perhaps a light/dark cross?
Lights (roo on the right):

4810_lighthr2.jpg

Darks (roo on the left & by himself):

4810_darkhr1.jpg

4810_darkhr2.jpg

Buffs (roo on the left):

4810_buffhr1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom