Light Brahma roo or hen?

None of my birds have started laying but could start in the next 2-3 weeks or so. How soon do I need to get these guys out of there before I get fertile eggs?
There is no certain age when eggs magically become fertile. It all depends on the individual chicken. No one can really awnser that question. You can eat fertile eggs. You wont even notice they are fertile unless you are really looking for it.

Both are boys. No idea on the fertile egg question, I've never dealt with fertile eggs since we have an all girl flock, I wish we could keep a male.

Cockerels usually want to start mating a pullet just before she's ready to lay, so chances are her first eggs will be fertile. You'll never know, though, as it takes quite the practiced eye to tell if an egg is fertilized or not. No difference in taste, smell, etc. It takes several days of an egg being around a hundred degrees for an embryo to start developing, so if you simply collect your eggs every day or even every other day you'll be fine. I've had roosters with my layer flock for 20 years and not once have I cracked an egg to a partially developed chick.

Cockerels usually want to start mating a pullet just before she's ready to lay, so chances are her first eggs will be fertile. You'll never know, though, as it takes quite the practiced eye to tell if an egg is fertilized or not. No difference in taste, smell, etc. It takes several days of an egg being around a hundred degrees for an embryo to start developing, so if you simply collect your eggs every day or even every other day you'll be fine. I've had roosters with my layer flock for 20 years and not once have I cracked an egg to a partially developed chick.

Good info thank you.

Back
Top Bottom