Light Brahma

Smileybans

Crowing
Nov 13, 2020
Upstate New York
These guys are only 4 weeks old today but I think I have a boy and a girl. One is bigger than the other but I’m new to chickens and not sure if it’s normal for Brahma males to be bigger. All of my other male chicks grew at the same rate as the females. Is it too early to tell the sex? Or do I for sure have a boy and girl?
78EFD7F5-F841-46B8-A5AB-BC4635B7B491.jpeg
54BFD7E6-E683-4D41-8651-F42780EEA2A1.jpeg
E8FB7532-BAC5-4795-959D-EBB8C185A42D.jpeg
B9228D63-4CB3-4808-95C6-2C11E67E49AC.jpeg
D79AA940-DAA9-4994-9ADF-9FB0A2068D3C.jpeg

It's funny, our Light Brahma male was the most obvious cockerel ever, from day 1. He was bossy and did everything first except grow his tail and wingfeathers. His feathers came in a lot later than the others.

By 3 weeks (2nd picture), he was much bigger than the others, his legs were thicker, and his comb had little ridges the pullets didn't have. By 4 weeks (3rd photo), his comb was turning pink, and he had pointy hackles on his neck.

He was our first cockerel, so I thought they were all obvious like that :D But for some cockerels, you don't know until they lay or don't. Also, some hens take on rooster traits, like crowing. Our little head hen tidbits for her flockmates.

CockerelonBrooderHeater.jpg

BrahmaChicks-sunning-3weeks.jpg

LightBrahmaCockerel-4weeks.jpg

Brahma-EasterEgger-mixedflock-snow.jpg

It's funny, our Light Brahma male was the most obvious cockerel ever, from day 1. He was bossy and did everything first except grow his tail and wingfeathers. His feathers came in a lot later than the others.

By 3 weeks (2nd picture), he was much bigger than the others, his legs were thicker, and his comb had little ridges the pullets didn't have. By 4 weeks (3rd photo), his comb was turning pink, and he had pointy hackles on his neck.

He was our first cockerel, so I thought they were all obvious like that :D But for some cockerels, you don't know until they lay or don't. Also, some hens take on rooster traits, like crowing. Our little head hen tidbits for her flockmates.

View attachment 2455036
View attachment 2455042
View attachment 2455043
View attachment 2455052
My Light Brahma boy was also super obvious in his sex. He didn't really start growing feathers till about 7-8 weeks old and that was my first indication. I had a pullet of the same age to compare to, and he is now HUGE compared to all my other chickens. His flight feathers are still a bit slow. Here they are at 10 weeks and I had no doubt at this time. I'm just hoping he develops into a good boy without too much aggression, because I'd really like to keep him.
10 WEEKS.jpg

Back
Top Bottom