Light Brahmas, 4 months Pullet or Cockerel? +Updated Pictures on Page 4+

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Sk8inChick(en), Jul 7, 2012.

1. Sk8inChick(en)

Sk8inChick(en) Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    The Show-Me State
    Yes, her face is soooooo much redder, oh dear!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  2. MineAlways

MineAlways Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2012
    SW PA
    I understand that! We are not allowed to have roos either and when he started crowing my heart sank.

I could tell a difference from early on with mine but like I said maybe if yours is a boy he is maturing a little slow.
    I had heard LBs were slow to mature so I was SHOCKED! [​IMG]when mine started crowing at 12 weeks I was hoping he wouldnt start until 4-6 months. But he didnt and I had to do something with him sooner then I had wanted.

Here is hoping both of yours are girls and if not then I hope he doesnt make to much racket and blow your cover [​IMG]

3. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

Can you post an up-to-date full body shot?

4. Sk8inChick(en)

May 12, 2011
    The Show-Me State
    Thank you so much! I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but we haven't heard any crowing as of yet.

Hopefully that is a good sign!

Yes, I'll post one this afternoon of her saddle and hackle feathers and all-over shape. :)

5. Annilee07

Annilee07 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2012
    I'd love to see a full picture of yours, i'm going through the same thing. I don't have one to compare mine with thought. I just finished starting a thread trying to figure out if my LB is a roo or pullet... I'm dying... i nursed Dixie through her first week. It will be really sad if she crows! Any advice will be welcomed! Thanks!

This is my Dixie Chicken- 14 weeks old
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. Sk8inChick(en)

May 12, 2011
    The Show-Me State
    Okay, here are the updated pics of "Georgina." We're hoping she's not a "George."

Thank you so much! Your opinions are appreciated!

Sorry about all the pictures! I think I got carried away, ha ha.

"Georgina" is the one in the center of the photo.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is her sister, Kitty, for comparison. (sorry about the bluriness)

[​IMG]

Georgina again.
    [​IMG]

Her saddle feathers look pretty rounded to me.

[​IMG]

Her hackles are a little bit pointy, but so are Kitty's. (our other LB)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's Kitty again. (The other LB)

[​IMG]

7. Sk8inChick(en)

May 12, 2011
    The Show-Me State

I can't say for sure, but I think I see some pointy hackle feathers. Although, my other LB -who I'm sure is a hen- kind of has that, too.

Those saddle look a little pointy to me, too, but don't take me too seriously. :) Afterall, I'm asking the same question.

Those are some very good pictures! :)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  8. MineAlways

MineAlways Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2012
    SW PA
    I still think that[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] georgina is a girl just a hunch. Although she is red'ing up and appear to have pointy hackle feathers I think she has a hen tail[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I am including the last pic I have of my boy LB he was 12 weeks[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]You can see how much red and headgear he had already at that age. His tail feathers were also starting to get a greenish sheen to them and curve downward. [/FONT]
    [​IMG]

9. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    I think Georgina is a pullet as well. Don't see any pointed saddles or hackles.

Annilee, I think yours is a cockerel. I can see pointed saddle feathers coming in front of the tail.

10. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

The black in the hackles make them look pointier than they often are--if you look at the white fringe, I bet you can see that they are actually rounder.

I'm more confident guessing Annilee07 has a cockerel than Sk8inChick(en).

I've got a LB that I and everybody that's seen is convinced is a cockerel, at almost 20 weeks he still doesn't have any pointy feathers (my buff roo developed pointy/bright feathers late too)--but he is mostly tail-less and the tail that's there is not straight. In my research I came across this auction on BYC. Near as I can see on my monitor that cockerel has a straight tail and no obvious pointy feathers (no more/less obvious than your bird's at least) yet was crowing at 12 weeks. My current buff roo didn't start crowing until after his hatchmate-pullets started laying, which was easily 6 mos. These Brahmas can be slow to show themselves--I'm preferring Leghorns more all the time.

Be sure to keep us posted!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by