Light Brahmas, 4 months Pullet or Cockerel? +Updated Pictures on Page 4+

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Sk8inChick(en), Jul 7, 2012.

1. Sk8inChick(en)

Sk8inChick(en) Songster

May 12, 2011
    The Show-Me State
    Yes, her face is soooooo much redder, oh dear!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  2. MineAlways

MineAlways In the Brooder

Feb 27, 2012
    SW PA
    I understand that! We are not allowed to have roos either and when he started crowing my heart sank.

I could tell a difference from early on with mine but like I said maybe if yours is a boy he is maturing a little slow.
    I had heard LBs were slow to mature so I was SHOCKED! [​IMG]when mine started crowing at 12 weeks I was hoping he wouldnt start until 4-6 months. But he didnt and I had to do something with him sooner then I had wanted.

Here is hoping both of yours are girls and if not then I hope he doesnt make to much racket and blow your cover [​IMG]

3. popsicle

popsicle Songster

Can you post an up-to-date full body shot?

4. Sk8inChick(en)

Sk8inChick(en) Songster

May 12, 2011
    The Show-Me State
    Thank you so much! I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but we haven't heard any crowing as of yet.

Hopefully that is a good sign!

Yes, I'll post one this afternoon of her saddle and hackle feathers and all-over shape. :)

5. Annilee07

Annilee07 In the Brooder

Apr 13, 2012
    I'd love to see a full picture of yours, i'm going through the same thing. I don't have one to compare mine with thought. I just finished starting a thread trying to figure out if my LB is a roo or pullet... I'm dying... i nursed Dixie through her first week. It will be really sad if she crows! Any advice will be welcomed! Thanks!

This is my Dixie Chicken- 14 weeks old
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. Sk8inChick(en)

Sk8inChick(en) Songster

May 12, 2011
    The Show-Me State
    Okay, here are the updated pics of "Georgina." We're hoping she's not a "George."

Thank you so much! Your opinions are appreciated!

Sorry about all the pictures! I think I got carried away, ha ha.

"Georgina" is the one in the center of the photo.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is her sister, Kitty, for comparison. (sorry about the bluriness)

[​IMG]

Georgina again.
    [​IMG]

Her saddle feathers look pretty rounded to me.

[​IMG]

Her hackles are a little bit pointy, but so are Kitty's. (our other LB)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's Kitty again. (The other LB)

[​IMG]

7. Sk8inChick(en)

Sk8inChick(en) Songster

May 12, 2011
    The Show-Me State

I can't say for sure, but I think I see some pointy hackle feathers. Although, my other LB -who I'm sure is a hen- kind of has that, too.

Those saddle look a little pointy to me, too, but don't take me too seriously. :) Afterall, I'm asking the same question.

Those are some very good pictures! :)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  8. MineAlways

MineAlways In the Brooder

Feb 27, 2012
    SW PA
    I still think that[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] georgina is a girl just a hunch. Although she is red'ing up and appear to have pointy hackle feathers I think she has a hen tail[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I am including the last pic I have of my boy LB he was 12 weeks[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]You can see how much red and headgear he had already at that age. His tail feathers were also starting to get a greenish sheen to them and curve downward. [/FONT]
    [​IMG]

9. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Crowing Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    I think Georgina is a pullet as well. Don't see any pointed saddles or hackles.

Annilee, I think yours is a cockerel. I can see pointed saddle feathers coming in front of the tail.

10. popsicle

popsicle Songster

The black in the hackles make them look pointier than they often are--if you look at the white fringe, I bet you can see that they are actually rounder.

I'm more confident guessing Annilee07 has a cockerel than Sk8inChick(en).

I've got a LB that I and everybody that's seen is convinced is a cockerel, at almost 20 weeks he still doesn't have any pointy feathers (my buff roo developed pointy/bright feathers late too)--but he is mostly tail-less and the tail that's there is not straight. In my research I came across this auction on BYC. Near as I can see on my monitor that cockerel has a straight tail and no obvious pointy feathers (no more/less obvious than your bird's at least) yet was crowing at 12 weeks. My current buff roo didn't start crowing until after his hatchmate-pullets started laying, which was easily 6 mos. These Brahmas can be slow to show themselves--I'm preferring Leghorns more all the time.

Be sure to keep us posted!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by