Light Brahmas, 4 months Pullet or Cockerel? +Updated Pictures on Page 4+

Sk8inChick(en)

Songster
11 Years
May 12, 2011
Hi there!

So, here are my girls, once again. They are just about 4 months now, and one is tending to look a bit, well, roo-ish.

Her comb and wattles are noticably larger and redder then our other LB.

So, I would love to hear some of your opinions about my "girls!"

I would keep "her" if she was a roo who wouldn't crow, but unfortunately... Most of them do.

Okay, now I'll cut the small talk and get to the pics!

Thank you!!

Here's a picture of both LBs together. The suspect chicken is on the right.

Here are "her" comb and wattles...

And this is "her" sister, for comparison.​

Last edited:
You know that at some point, your hens will get red wattles and combs. So don't think roo so fast. She could just be maturing faster than the other. There are a lot of post where people write about hatch mates who mature weeks apart! She just may be getting ready to lay eggs! Hold on to her for a while longer.

They are 4months old?

Mine was bought on March 1st. She is 4 months old. I did at one point have a pair a roo and her. I could tell from about 6 weeks on that 1 was a boy and the other was a girl. My roo was crowing around 12 weeks. He found his real roo voice by 14 weeks and that is when I had to process him as I can have roos.

I think that they are both girl and one is just getting a little redder first

Here is my girl at 18 weeks a a few weeks older then 4 months

After looking at your pictures and mine are you sure they are 4 months? 16 weeks? They look a bit young and look like my boy and girl did when they were around 12 weeks or so?
The suspect roo's comb does look a lot like my roo's did at that time. But if they are older then girls start to redden up and get bigger as they become more mature

I thought I remember posting on a pullet roo post before of yours so I went back and looked. After looking back at those old post I am going to have to say I think they are girls and one is just getting redder faster.

I could be wrong and it could be a slow maturing boy but for now I am saying girls as I have a long

Thank you for your reply and picture, that's a pretty hen! I just went to my calendar and checked, and they will be 16 weeks tomorrow, July 8. So not quite 4 months, bought on March 20th I think?

Your picture of your 18 week LB hen looks like my LB girl, except a little redder. Our suspect has developing waddle and comb, and there's been a big change in just 2 weeks.

We are "walking on egg shells" waiting to see if suspect is a girl, we sure hope she is!!!!! Can't keep a bird that crows, and not even supposed to have hens in our neighborhood. So we are trying to stay under the radar with the whole operation!
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom