A little help? Is this a roo or pullet?

That definitely isn't a cockerel. You can tell she is an obvious pullet because she has rounded feathers compared to how a cockerel will have pointed ones. She should start laying very soon with a comb and wattles that bright red. If she is squatting for you, then she will probably lay an egg sometime in this week or the next week.
I am going to try to get hubs to put the nesting box up this weekend when he is off work. We were thinking of putting it under the roost area. Thoughts?

Some birds will NEVER squat as that's a sign of submission not laying in particular.. in MY experience. It is funny when they do it for us though!

They usually red or pink up like that about 4 weeks before coming into lay (also according to MY experience). Many of my birds maturing this time of year with natural daylight start laying between 20-24 weeks. My earliest was 18 weeks.. with 16 weeks being my earliest spring maturing layer. How long has her comb been that bright?

Another *usually* VERY good clue.. is they often start getting vocal about that week lay is gonna commence.. griping a lot making a bawk awk awk type sound.. and increasing restlessness would also not be uncommon.
She HAS been talking more lately like she is grumbling. I will definitely be keeping an eye on her more closely now. I am so EGGcited!

Her comb has been bright red for a few days. I can show you a photo from Christmas time to now.

Photo dates:
1/2/24
12/21/23
12/13/23

Attachments

• 20240102_165049.jpg
    20240102_165049.jpg
    662.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 20231221_101054.jpg
    20231221_101054.jpg
    745.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 20231213_145612.jpg
    20231213_145612.jpg
    629.5 KB · Views: 14
I'd be making plans to move the big boy in within this month! He can finally be with his ladies! Also...I see miss Dolly Parton in there!

I'd be making plans to move the big boy in within this month! He can finally be with his ladies! Also...I see miss Dolly Parton in there!
I have a better photo of Dolly. I will drop the chick pics in their post later. šŸ˜‰
Would Snape mess with the babies? They are like.......8 or 9 weeks. Right? My math today ain't mathing.

I have a better photo of Dolly. I will drop the chick pics in their post later. šŸ˜‰
Would Snape mess with the babies? They are like.......8 or 9 weeks. Right? My math today ain't mathing.

A good male should really only focus on the birds that are showing interest in him. Go slowly, and be careful. Can't wait for Foy update pics!

Back
Top Bottom