unsure about my light Sussex’s gender

He clearly has saddle feathers in these photos as well. Sometimes saddle feathers are harder to notice when they are the same shade as the body feathers. Maybe they were there all along and you just didn't notice? :)

Do you have other roosters?

Did you or a broody hatch him? Other roosters in the group he was raised with?

As for the dark brown egg, what other chickens do you have? Breeds?
He was hatched in an incubator by other people who gave him to me as a young chick since he wasn't doing well with them.

i had a new hampshire rooster before getting the sussex but the new hampshire was rehomed when i had the sussex for 3 months at most and he was staying inside the house for a lot of that time because it becoming winter and was too cold outside most of the time. And then i got 3 silkie roosters a few months ago (maybe 4) which i still have

And for other breeds of hens (not including my bantams) are 2 normal laying hens (the one lays large dark eggs) and the other used to lay light brown/cream eggs but she's quite old and i think she stopped laying. Then i have a leghorn and a crossbreed who both lay light eggs.

I am aware that Sussex chickens are supposed to lay light eggs so the small egg being from this chicken was unlikely but I've heard stories of people who have some that lay other coloured eggs. I've broken my brain trying to figure out who else could've layed that egg and the suusex was the only one who made sense.

And for some extra background about this chicken. The people i got this chicken from bought "bad hens" from somebody because the person could tell they didn't know much about chickens at the time and the person is known for selling people "bad" or old chickens if he sees you don't know a lot. So maybe one of those hens carry a gene for dark eggs.

My chicken is most likely just a really slow maturing rooster but them being a hermaphrodite is still a possibilty so I'll try to seperate the chicken for a few days and see if an egg appears.

He was hatched in an incubator by other people who gave him to me as a young chick since he wasn't doing well with them.

i had a new hampshire rooster before getting the sussex but the new hampshire was rehomed when i had the sussex for 3 months at most and he was staying inside the house for a lot of that time because it becoming winter and was too cold outside most of the time. And then i got 3 silkie roosters a few months ago (maybe 4) which i still have

And for other breeds of hens (not including my bantams) are 2 normal laying hens (the one lays large dark eggs) and the other used to lay light brown/cream eggs but she's quite old and i think she stopped laying. Then i have a leghorn and a crossbreed who both lay light eggs.

I am aware that Sussex chickens are supposed to lay light eggs so the small egg being from this chicken was unlikely but I've heard stories of people who have some that lay other coloured eggs. I've broken my brain trying to figure out who else could've layed that egg and the suusex was the only one who made sense.

And for some extra background about this chicken. The people i got this chicken from bought "bad hens" from somebody because the person could tell they didn't know much about chickens at the time and the person is known for selling people "bad" or old chickens if he sees you don't know a lot. So maybe one of those hens carry a gene for dark eggs.

My chicken is most likely just a really slow maturing rooster but them being a hermaphrodite is still a possibilty so I'll try to seperate the chicken for a few days and see if an egg appears.
When there are multiple boys often one does not show himself until later. They mature more slowly and don't crow as young. That plus this boy being white made his saddles less noticeable.
Sometimes boys are sneaky!

I think you'll find that one of the hens laid the egg. ;)

Back
Top Bottom