1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Light brahmas or Barred rock ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Skitz, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    I want some araucana pullets but i need to take out a breed because i can only have 6 breeds and i already have 6 and i want some araucana pullets so which one should i take out the Light brahmas or Barred rock? give me some reasons why I should eliminate that breed good egg layer, broodiness, friendly, etc... for the reason i want pullets is because of the eggs.

2. crazyhen

crazyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    I would take out the brahma. I have heard that the foot problems because of the feathers cause a lot of problems. They eat more and lay less. I have also heard they are less friendly. They are sort of shy. Not mean just shy. They require more room in the roost too. I think they are beautiful and I have two of them. Although they are not my first pick. Jean

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I've never encountered any of those problems with my Light Brahmas, some of mine are going on to 7 years old and still laying. No foot problems, great egg layers in winter or summer, don't eat anymore than any other breed and they go Broody every once in awhile.

4. Sylvie

Sylvie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    Ohio
    I love my Light Brahmas and find them very friendly. They are slower to mature and stay chick-like longer. I haven't noticed them eating more than the other girls but they do make sure they find the food first.
    I don't think I am much help to you because I also find great pluses with my Barred Rocks, too! Mine can find food anywhere and very inquisitive.
    Just curious why you can only have 6 breeds?

5. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Quote:Because i'm getting 7 golden comets, 5 buff orpingtons, 5 brown leghorns, 5 black sex-link, 5 silkies, 5 barred rock OR 5 light brahmas and the reason i can only have 6 is because for every breed you get you have to get 5 or more and all those pullets are going to equal 32 pullets plus 3 i have 35 pullets and thats too many that's why i can only have 6 breeds

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2008
  6. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    We raise both and ditto on everything Tuffoldhen said about the Brahmas. The Brahmas are more docile and quiet; very regal looking in the yard. The roos we have rarely fight with the other breeds. Honestly, either would make a great choice.

7. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    We raise both too, and they are pretty equal in all respects. I'd just pick the one I like the most and keep them. In my case I'd pick the brahmas to keep, because I am pretty impartial to BRs.

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Even if I do decide to get another breed someday, I'll NEVER give up my brahmas!

9. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Quote:I guess the light brahmas are great. But in the first post does that happen with their feet?

10. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    I've also had both and have the Barred Rocks again.

It is difficult to compare breeds when you can't put them side-by-side at the same time. I wasn't especially delighted with either in the past - I thought. So, I'm committed to my Australorps.

But then, I've always like the Brahmas' personality - aloof, yeah, but I'd say independent, as well. The laying ability isn't the best or most consistent, I felt.

I wasn't too impressed with the Barred Rocks, as memory served me. And yet, they got off to laying quicker than my Australorps! One is just a real nice hen. The other is a bit noisy <shrug>.

I really enjoyed the beauty of my Ameraucana rooster. The little hen I had years ago, was a pretty good little hen. But personally and unless those Araucanas are really something special, I'd stay with the Brahmas and Barred Rocks.

Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by