Light bulb keeps them awake?

Sundari

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 18, 2009
Denver, CO
This is my first winter with chickens. I have seven full-grown hens. I have a pretty small coop (they're in the barnyard during the day, and only go in the secure coop at night).

I've heard several people talk about using a light bulb to heat the coop when it gets really cold. I put a 60-watt bulb in the coop tonight, but it's pretty bright. When I went out to check on them, they were all still wide awake.

What's the solution? Should I use a red bulb instead of a regular bulb? Should I not worry about them not sleeping as long as they're warm? Will they get used to it? How cold should it be before I activate the lightbulb (one of my chickens is a leghorn, which I guess are more sensitive to cold).

Thanks to all for your help!

I use a 70 watt bulb in my coop... and NOT for the heat because it's one of those energy efficient ones that don't produce heat...

I use it to give them light so they'll lay.

Mine sleep fine... with the light on. (but it IS on a timer. Goes off at 8PM comes on at 6AM)

You could use a 75 watt heat lamp. i have several of those. Use them in brooders and also in the pens when it's really cold. i put a hardware cloth cover over it (1/2" wire), and secure it very well. i only use it in the pen during the day once i let the girls out as the coops are small and there isn't any room. We don't get too too cold here. Perhaps someone who lives in a chilly climate will have a better answer for you.

I keep a brooder lamp and 60 watt bulb in with my chicks and ducklings. They seem to stay awake at first, but I've caught them sleeping, so i know they eventually do. I've never tried this with full-grown chickens.

Use a ceramic heat coil. You can find them at pet stores. Be sure to get a ceramic type electric socket in a sheilded aluminimum lamp. You can get them at wally world for pretty cheap.

The coil does not put out any light, but does a great job of heating. The coils come in 100, 150, 200 and 250 watt types. I use a 150 to 200 watt.

I do keep a night light going in the nursery, just in case someone falls off thier roost.

If you've got seven chickens in a small coop they are probably generating enough heat wthout the use of a light. You could stick a thermometer out there that records minimum/maximum temps to give you some idea. Unless they are very tender birds; not at all cold hardy, I suspect you don't need that light for heat.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom