Light bulb keeps them awake?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Sundari, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Sundari

Sundari Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2009
    Denver, CO
    This is my first winter with chickens. I have seven full-grown hens. I have a pretty small coop (they're in the barnyard during the day, and only go in the secure coop at night).

I've heard several people talk about using a light bulb to heat the coop when it gets really cold. I put a 60-watt bulb in the coop tonight, but it's pretty bright. When I went out to check on them, they were all still wide awake.

What's the solution? Should I use a red bulb instead of a regular bulb? Should I not worry about them not sleeping as long as they're warm? Will they get used to it? How cold should it be before I activate the lightbulb (one of my chickens is a leghorn, which I guess are more sensitive to cold).

Thanks to all for your help!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I use a 70 watt bulb in my coop... and NOT for the heat because it's one of those energy efficient ones that don't produce heat...

I use it to give them light so they'll lay.

Mine sleep fine... with the light on. (but it IS on a timer. Goes off at 8PM comes on at 6AM)

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    You could use a 75 watt heat lamp. i have several of those. Use them in brooders and also in the pens when it's really cold. i put a hardware cloth cover over it (1/2" wire), and secure it very well. i only use it in the pen during the day once i let the girls out as the coops are small and there isn't any room. We don't get too too cold here. Perhaps someone who lives in a chilly climate will have a better answer for you.

4. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    I keep a brooder lamp and 60 watt bulb in with my chicks and ducklings. They seem to stay awake at first, but I've caught them sleeping, so i know they eventually do. I've never tried this with full-grown chickens.

5. Use a ceramic heat coil. You can find them at pet stores. Be sure to get a ceramic type electric socket in a sheilded aluminimum lamp. You can get them at wally world for pretty cheap.

The coil does not put out any light, but does a great job of heating. The coils come in 100, 150, 200 and 250 watt types. I use a 150 to 200 watt.

I do keep a night light going in the nursery, just in case someone falls off thier roost.

6. SimplyForties

SimplyForties Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Carroll County, Va
    If you've got seven chickens in a small coop they are probably generating enough heat wthout the use of a light. You could stick a thermometer out there that records minimum/maximum temps to give you some idea. Unless they are very tender birds; not at all cold hardy, I suspect you don't need that light for heat. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by