Light-colored Melanistic Mutant pheasant?

Pics

Alexandra33

Chook Snuggler
9 Years
Apr 3, 2015
Northwest Ohio - The Buckeye State!
I've just recently acquired my first pheasants (Melanistic Mutants, to be specific), and me being me, I selected the "oddball" in the brooder. Every other baby was similar in appearance, except this little one. Gotta love anything unique. :D Today, I realized that not only is it feathering in with a decent amount of white plumage and sporting light pink legs, but its eyes are a smoky blue when compared to the others. Not really what I'd expect from a melanistic pheasant. Or, is this to be expected? Would love insight from experienced individuals!
DSCN0351.JPG

DSCN0358.JPG

I've just recently acquired my first pheasants (Melanistic Mutants, to be specific), and me being me, I selected the "oddball" in the brooder. Every other baby was similar in appearance, except this little one. Gotta love anything unique. :D Today, I realized that not only is it feathering in with a decent amount of white plumage and sporting light pink legs, but its eyes are a smoky blue when compared to the others. Not really what I'd expect from a melanistic pheasant. Or, is this to be expected? Would love insight from experienced individuals!View attachment 2714295
View attachment 2714297
Congratulations the lighter colored one is your BOY!!!!! That’s the beauty of melanistics......they are feather sexable!!!!

Congratulations the lighter colored one is your BOY!!!!! That’s the beauty of melanistics......they are feather sexable!!!!
I had done a little research and heard mixed information regarding auto-sexing.... so that's good to know. :) So does this explain the white plumage and blue eyes? Will this molt out eventually?

I've just recently acquired my first pheasants (Melanistic Mutants, to be specific), and me being me, I selected the "oddball" in the brooder. Every other baby was similar in appearance, except this little one. Gotta love anything unique. :D Today, I realized that not only is it feathering in with a decent amount of white plumage and sporting light pink legs, but its eyes are a smoky blue when compared to the others. Not really what I'd expect from a melanistic pheasant. Or, is this to be expected? Would love insight from experienced individuals!View attachment 2714295
View attachment 2714297
It is a male. It has an unusually high percentage of white feather color pattern. How it will feather out is anyone's guess....most likely it will look similar to this one and have yellow/orange-ish eyes as an adult. ETA - you'll know what it will look like as and adult by October.
20210611_154437.jpg

Last edited:
It is a male. It has an unusually high percentage of white feather color pattern. How it will feather out is anyone's guess....most likely it will look similar to this one and have yellow/orange-ish eyes as an adult. ETA - you'll know what it will look like as and adult by October.
View attachment 2714403
This is wonderful information, thank you. I truly did try to read up on the mutation, but there's so little to be found online. Is it safe to assume the other three are females? They're all virtually identical to the one used for comparison.

This is wonderful information, thank you. I truly did try to read up on the mutation, but there's so little to be found online. Is it safe to assume the other three are females? They're all virtually identical to the one used for comparison.
You assume right! Here's a pic of what the hens will look like when mature.
20201118_155936.jpg

You assume right! Here's a pic of what the hens will look like when mature.
View attachment 2714828
What a lovely bird. Already can't wait to see how these guys mature.

Another question, as I'm very new to pheasants - two of the darker ones are already reddening up and developing wattles/facial patches at less than 2 weeks. These two are also quite aggressive. Is this normal for some females? I'm thinking they're merely developing at a faster rate than the others.

He's looking very nice so far. Even his leg/head feathering is coming in white. (not visible in photo)
View attachment 2732767
That is in no way characteristic of a melanistic pheasant, plumage coloration wise. It might resemble a pied pattern when mature? It certainly is a Black melanistic and not the green or blue color variations.
I got rid of my black melanistics....just too hum-drum....oh, they have a little color in their plumage, mainly purple, if the sunlight hits them 'just right' but other than that, just a dull black color.

Back
Top Bottom