Light-colored Melanistic Mutant pheasant?

Sounds exquisite! Am I ever making out like a fat rat. :D

In all seriousness, I'm looking into getting quail eventually - is care/housing difficult? (I'm sure it varies by type)
Not at all! I keep my Chinese painted quail indoors most of the year, and it's really not complex. As ground birds, quail—particularly CPQ—appreciate having cover; it helps decrease neurotic behaviour and frequent flushing (which comes with the danger of head injury.) I have a cardboard shelter over part of my quail pen, which they can duck under when I walk by. Other than that, I have a dust bathing bowl, a feed bowl, an oyster shell bowl, and a hamster water bottle in there, and that's it. Someone on BYC suggested the hamster bottle to me, and it's been revolutionary. They pace so much that water bowls get soiled and filthy at quite a rapid rate.

@BantyChooks Great information, thank you! I've heard rave reviews about Coturnix eggs. But as far as cute factor, my heart is set on Buttons....plus they seem relatively low maintenance. And then another part of me wants Bobwhites for their game-iness. Long story short, I want it all and need therapy. :lol:

@BantyChooks Great information, thank you! I've heard rave reviews about Coturnix eggs. But as far as cute factor, my heart is set on Buttons....plus they seem relatively low maintenance. And then another part of me wants Bobwhites for their game-iness. Long story short, I want it all and need therapy. :lol:
Honestly, my parakeets are about twice the work. I've been trying to switch those finicky little buggers over to pellets and changing out all their food stations and giving them fresh greens daily is far more complicated than the button/CPQ care!

Honestly, my parakeets are about twice the work. I've been trying to switch those finicky little buggers over to pellets and changing out all their food stations and giving them fresh greens daily is far more complicated than the button/CPQ care!
I simply can NOT coerce my parakeet and cockatiel to eat greens, or anything healthy, for that matter. If it's brightly colored, it's scary. But I'll never stop trying for their sakes! Silly rascals don't know what's best for them.

The finches are much easier and less picky.

I simply can NOT coerce my parakeet and cockatiel to eat greens, or anything healthy, for that matter. If it's brightly colored, it's scary. But I'll never stop trying for their sakes! Silly rascals don't know what's best for them.

If all goes well, I should be getting zebra finches tomorrow. I miss my Gouldians, but the zebras should be a lot of fun!

Have you tried parsley???? So funny that it’s a favorite at my house!!! The grocery shoppers must think I’m nuttier that a fruitcake buying so much parsley every week! 🤣

If all goes well, I should be getting zebra finches tomorrow. I miss my Gouldians, but the zebras should be a lot of fun!
Ahhh, lovely choice! What mutations did you manage to get ahold of?

Too bad we aren't within attainable driving distance, seeing as I have an influx of young zebras my breeding pairs hatched out. Nice mutations with interesting recessives, too, but I'm giving up on my breeding program for the time being.
Have you tried parsley???? So funny that it’s a favorite at my house!!! The grocery shoppers must think I’m nuttier that a fruitcake buying so much parsley every week! 🤣
Funny you mention that, the only green vittles my cockatiel has shown any interest in is cilantro. I'll try parsley next time!

Oh, the embarrassment we bird parents go through for our "children"..... :lol:

Ahhh, lovely choice! What mutations did you manage to get ahold of?
Good question. I've never seen them, I'm going to check them out tomorrow. I asked to be put on the waiting list for whatever kind of zebras they could get their hands on, up to and including the hooved kind. :p
Does BYC have a finch thread? It should.

Back
Top Bottom