Light Cycle in Brooder?

Catastrophi

Chirping
Jan 31, 2023
Southeast Texas
I'm getting my first batch of chicks in a week. I have my brooder built and ready. I'll be using a brooder plate instead of a heat lamp, but the brooder will be situated in my uninsulated garage. Temperatures at night will be in the mid 50s here in Texas. The garage has no windows so will be dark. Is my plan to have a lamp for lighting turn on in the morning and turn off at night a good plan? I plan to have it on a timer to turn on at sunrise and a timer to turn off at sunset. Do they need a dim light at night?

Sorry newbie here and want to make sure I'm doing it right!

Agreed, it is great for them to start learning day & night with gradual light coming through a window in the morning and dimming as the sun sets at night. I did add a tiny string of battery cheistmas lights the first few days, just in case someone got hungry or pushed out from under the plate. After that I figured they would be able to stay under all night and not need to eat to gain strength so I stopped the extra string of lights. It barely added any light, just enough so it wasn’t pitch black.

With my very first few flocks I did same thing - garage with a lamp and a little nightlight. I don't remember why the nightlight, was it for me or them? Well they for sure don't need it and when you decide to not provide it anymore, they just chirp/cry for a bit when you shut it off. So based on fact that they really do need the complete dark to get a good rest and natural cycle, don't provide a nightlight at all from day 1. I also recall that with the nightlight they were still zooming and goofing around at bedtime but without it, they quieted right down under the hut/plate for a good sleep. Good for you for going with a heat plate. ENJOY!!

I'm getting my first batch of chicks in a week. I have my brooder built and ready. I'll be using a brooder plate instead of a heat lamp, but the brooder will be situated in my uninsulated garage. Temperatures at night will be in the mid 50s here in Texas. The garage has no windows so will be dark. Is my plan to have a lamp for lighting turn on in the morning and turn off at night a good plan? I plan to have it on a timer to turn on at sunrise and a timer to turn off at sunset. Do they need a dim light at night?

Good question no light at night. I also provided chick grit after first week for them . I was surprised how much they are of it

I've got my chicks in a brooder in the garage also using a heat plate. My temps in the garage are just slightly higher than yours, and they have a window directly above their brooder. I turn on the garage lights when I get up and turn it off when it gets light outside. I turn on the lights when it gets dark, and turn the lights off when I go to bed. Basically, they have light (either natural sunlight or garage lights) when I'm up. They go dark when I go to bed. I will wean them off of the garage lights when our days get longer. I'm not sure it's necessary, but they are thriving and growing like weeds!!

Awesome! I think I have a spare smart light bulb I can program to gradually dim to try and simulate sunrise and sunset. I wish I had a room with a window, but my garage is my only option!
This is what I do! I have Wiz smart bulbs in the room with the brooder and I put them on the 30 minute sunset dimmer mode they tuck themselves in.

One night I had the lights off but there are windows in there and the sun set around 6. I usually turn the lights off at 8 or 9. They were not happy with the earlier bedtime and got really loud. They also don’t like abrupt darkness and complain loudly.

Back
Top Bottom