1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Light for chicken ark when I have no electricity?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gophert, Oct 5, 2011.

1. gophert

gophert Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2011
    This is probably a nutty idea, but I thought I'd ask. I have a Catwaba-style chicken ark (http://catawbacoops.com/). I cannot run power to it. Has anyone thought of a way to put a light (for winter eggs) into one of these? LED light on a timer???

2. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    why not? you can get solar power lights too

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    If you do a search, you should find some threads where people posted about having solar panels. I've seen them mentioned multiple times.

4. crazy4spurs

crazy4spurs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    San Antonio, Texas
    We have electricity to our coop...but I had my husband install clear roof panels (sky lights) on our coop so during the winter...they will get sunlight naturally too:lol:

5. gophert

gophert Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2011
    Thanks--I do see there are some posts on solar lights, but was wondering a) if people also have a solar timer for them (does that exist?) and b) if anyone has used one in an ark...the roost area is pretty small. [​IMG]

6. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    We have a solar light on the outside of our coop, and I love it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by