light for run

Team01

Chirping
Mar 8, 2023
Hello:
I would like to know if you think installing a shop light in the run would be a good idea. The run is covered and does not get very much sun light in the run. It's kinda dark in the run area. Trying to find out if this is why they are not laying very good. I have 28 hens and only getting roughly 10 to 14 eggs a day . They have fresh water and food 24/7 . Also do they need to have perches in the run area. Please help

I do think they need sunlight. It might help if you say where you are in the world in a general way, because climate and seasons do matter.

This time of year is spring where I am, and we are really getting much stronger light, for longer periods of day and it makes quite a difference. However, in the heat of the summer - they need shade too.

But the age of your birds could also be a part of this problem.

Mrs K

I do think they need sunlight. It might help if you say where you are in the world in a general way, because climate and seasons do matter.

This time of year is spring where I am, and we are really getting much stronger light, for longer periods of day and it makes quite a difference. However, in the heat of the summer - they need shade too.

But the age of your birds could also be a part of this problem.

Mrs K
I live in Salinas calif. The weather here has not been that great. We just started getting some sun. The temperature has been around in the 50's. Have of the birds are 1 1/2 years old and the others have just turned a year old. The run is kinda dark even at mid day

Hi there, a light likely wont make a difference. What is their diet? Any stressors?
They are on 20 % lay crumble. They have oyster shell and grit available. They get scratch and lettuce every other day they get grubs on the other days. They have a flock block available. There is no stress

They are on 20 % lay crumble. They have oyster shell and grit available. They get scratch and lettuce every other day they get grubs on the other days. They have a flock block available. There is no stress
Great. They'll start laying more as the sun gets higher, probably in a few weeks. At most, you'll get 20 ish eggs a day.
What are their breeds?

Great. They'll start laying more as the sun gets higher, probably in a few weeks. At most, you'll get 20 ish eggs a day.
What are their breeds?
We have the following breeds: Barred rock, New Hampshire, Black laces silver Wyandotte,Buff orpington, Water egged and those inland reds. Even at mid day the run is still a little dark. Not much sun gets into the run . The run is covered

I have real trouble imagining a covered run that doesn't have enough light unless your sides are also blocking sunlight. A photo might be instructive. California has had a strange spring though. What can you tell us about their laying history? When did thy start? Did they stop for the winter? Did they molt? When?

They do not NEED perches in the run. The only risk I see of putting perches out there is they might tempt them to sleep out there instead of inside. If they are not higher than the inside roosts that's less likely to be a problem. If you want to I'd try it and see what happens.

We have the following breeds: Barred rock, New Hampshire, Black laces silver Wyandotte,Buff orpington, Water egged and those inland reds. Even at mid day the run is still a little dark. Not much sun gets into the run . The run is covered
None of those breeds are heavy layers, they usually lay 3-5 eggs a week.
Can you use poly panels for you covered run? What is it covered with now?

None of those breeds are heavy layers, they usually lay 3-5 eggs a week.
Can you use poly panels for you covered run? What is it covered with now?
They say that the breeds we have will lay about 200 to 280 eggs a year. . The run is covered with plywood. We do have some free that block some of the sun during the mid day. Yesterday we got 13 eggs and the day before we got 10 eggs. The weather here has been about 40 at night and around 60 during the day

Back
Top Bottom