Light green runny poo and lethargic...what's wrong?

Serrin

Songster
10 Years
Jul 19, 2009
30 Miles West of Spokane, WA.
For the last three days or so, I've noticed Clarissa, our 2 1/2 year old Golden Sexlink acting very lethargic and has by and large separated herself from the flock.

The first two days she spent in a corner of the scratch yard, hunkered down and puffed up. It wasn't cold out, though it was a bit breezy. This morning I noticed that she didn't jump right in and eat when I tossed out the morning ration of scratch mix.

Later today, I found her huddled down in the "Toy Shed" which is an open air kind of lean-to type structure where we store all manner of equipment and materials. The girls usually like to hang out in this structure when the temperatures start to soar. But, as I said, it has not been all that warm. Certainly no where near the upper 90's we were having a few weeks ago.

I picked her up and cuddled her for a few minutes and noticed right away that she didn't have her normal attitude that she displays when I pick her up....which is, OK, cuddle me quick then put me down please...She just went kind of limp and struck me as being rather weak.

Shortly after I put her back down, she defecated. That's when I noticed that her poo didn't look right at all. It's a light green in color and very runny. Almost to the point of being diarrhea, though not quite.

So, any suggestions of what might be wrong would be greatly appreciated. I too am one of those who cannot afford a veterinarian, even if there were one in the area that treated chickens. (ever notice there seems to be a serious lack of vets qualified to treat chickens in this world? ) I have NO clue what her problem might be. She got very lethargic about two months ago, but I attributed that to the heat at the time, since once it cooled down she went right back to being her usual bossy self.

Help! Any ideas?

No, sadly we do not as yet have an isolation area. It's on the list of things to do after we finish building the house. New chicks have always been kept in the trailer with us, in an appropriate cage/brooder until such time as they're big enough to join the flock. But, I have nothing to accommodate a full grown girl
sad.png

No one else is showing any signs of distress or illness at this point. I'm just going to have to keep my fingers crossed that whatever is afflicting Clarissa is not communicable. Thanks for responding.

Quote:
On the contrary! You were of immense help in posting that link to poo pictures!! At least now I know that Clarissa's poo is quite normal! That's a "load" off of my mind at least!
lol.png
Thanks for at least trying.

If anyone else has any ideas that they'd like to share, it would be greatly appreciated by me. Especially as Clarissa has had such a turn around in attitude in the last 6 months or so. She has become quite the companionable and agreeable little girl to be around. It's amazing what some stern words and gestures will do for a birds attitude!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom