Light in coop

My Guinea hens will not roost if they dont have sufficient light...they cower in the corner of the coop until I put a light on.

What set up do you have that I may be able to mimic?
While I did run electricity to my coop, I do not turn the light on for the guineas. I have a huge skylight for them and I make sure they are in the coop before it gets dark.

Not too old to bump I hope? What did you do for lighting? My chicks won't roost either and at least one of them does when I put on a light so I'm looking for something permanent.
I bought a nightlight and put that in the window (ran an extension cord out and use a timer). Works great. I was using a battery operated lantern which also worked but I like the timer.

It was the easiest method co sided I'm not as savvy as a majority of ppl on this board. My husband didn't want the birds so I pick and choose things I ask for help on when it comes to the birds 😂

Attachments

• 20200220_171245.jpg
    20200220_171245.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200220_171226.jpg
    20200220_171226.jpg
    404 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I bought a nightlight and put that in the window (ran an extension cord out and use a timer). Works great. I was using a battery operated lantern which also worked but I like the timer.
Where is the light in relation to the roosts?
Looks like light is shining towards the outside of coop?
What hours is the light on and off?

Where is the light in relation to the roosts?
Looks like light is shining towards the outside of coop?
What hours is the light on and off?

It's in their window. I put the light on before dark and turn it goes off an hour later. It's also hooked up to their water heater so if its freezing temps I turn it on before work and it goes off 4 hours later.

Great. I used a battery operated lantern yesterday but the hens didn't roost. While I was checking on one of the sick hens with a headlight on, another hen spontaniously roosted, so it definately is lack of proper lighting which is good to know.

My masterplan is a micro controller which controls the door, lights, does a headcount and maybe even is equipped with a nightvision camera.. But that's a long way off. Think I'll ad a LED light for now which I will turn on when I come home and turn off a few hours later.

It's also hooked up to their water heater so if its freezing temps I turn it on before work and it goes off 4 hours later.
Is it then frozen by the time you get home from work?
I leave my water heater running 24/7, tho it's controlled with a thermocube(on at 35°F and off at 45°)

Back
Top Bottom