Light on 24/7 or not?

lhousesoccer

Chirping
Feb 26, 2010
Hi - I'm a newbie with chickens. Working on my page right now to get pics up. Got my first 12 chicks ever on May 7, and I built a coop from scratch. My chickens are growing like crazy, and seem to be quite happy and cozy in the coop right now. I have a quick question. I've been running a heat lamp since I got them but now it's in the mid 80's and I think they're warm enough, even overnight. So I switched out the heat lamp for a compact fluroescent 15-watt bulb just for light. My question is, should I run the light all night long, or are the chickens OK being in the dark. Probably a silly question, so sorry for asking if it is.

Thanks!

Question 2 I need to post - I haven't built roosts yet. With 12 chickens, I think I need two rows of roosts. What spacing should I use for the distance between the top roost and the bottom roost?

welcome-byc.gif

They will be fine in the dark.

Good luck with your babes!
frow.gif
You are ahead of us...working on their run then will remodel a shed for their coop. We are right at 100 degrees; sure wish we had been able to get this done in March or April!
he.gif

Light on or off is fine, whatever you're comfortable with.

The roosts need to be higher than nest boxes and I suggest putting them at the same height so there is no king of the hill. I'm planing on doing 2 roosts parallel in my coop with about 18" between them. That's just my figuring though.

Great - thanks everyone who answered. Mostly I need the light to go out just at dark and top up their feed and water, but I don't have a switch - it's just a bulb on an adapter plugged into an extension cord run from the garage. It seemed really bright in there and I wasn't sure if that would interfere with their sleep. I think I'll go to the hardware store tomorrow and try and get a really dull light bulb, instead of the bright white compact fluorescent.

Back
Top Bottom