light or internal layer??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mom'sfolly, Nov 30, 2007.

1. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    My RSL has completely stopped laying. When she was laying she laid huge eggs and often double yolkers. After a double yolker she would take a few days off and go back on schedule. She also has laid some wierd eggs, shellless eggs and thin shelled eggs. Once this summer she spend the night indoors as she was acting ill and not eating. By morning there was a shell-less eggs, and some weird rubbery small egg things on the floor of the bathroom, but she also was acting normally and went back to laying normally. I thought it might be just a pullet getting warmed up to egg production

Now she doesn't lay, but acts fine; eats, poops, scratches, begs for treats, lap sits...normal chicken stuff. Her comb is very pale, and she doesn't seem to be moulting. My question is...is this normal chicken stuff or is there a problem? If she has become an internal layer, how do I tell? Her abdomin (can't spell) and keel feel normal too, and no weird vent stuff. I do see her in the nest box occassionally, but no eggs.

My other question is also this. Could she be older than I thought? I bought her as a point of lay pullet, but she never did the little pullet eggs. She started laying about 4 weeks after I got her.

2. jkcove08

jkcove08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    This is normal for a hen. Most will slack off during winter months. I have 35 hens and only get 6 to 10 eggs a day. She should start back up in the spring. Jenn

3. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Sounds like normal behavior. Keep in mind that chickens need 14 hour of daylight to keep up production. If your daylight hours are less than 14 hours and you don't provide additional lighting, that means she prolly won't lay til the longer days in late Spring. This also gives the hens a rest period to rejuvinate their laying systems.

bigzio

4. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    You guys are reassuring. She's the only one who has completely stopped. I've gone from 4 eggs a day from 4 girls to 1-3 eggs per day. Surprisingly enough, it's one of the EEs that has been the most consistent. Shiner is my favorite, so I hope its just winter break for her. I love her huge eggs too. Whenever I baked I tried to use her eggs, they just seem better than the others. Gotta go give the girls some treats.

5. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Fran,
    You are very lucky to get the number of eggs you do.

I hate to admit it but I only get a half dozen eggs a day from 52 hens. I wil admit half of them are over 4 years old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by