Light or no light in Oregon

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FinsUp, Sep 9, 2010.

1. FinsUp

FinsUp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    lake oswego flats
    It doesn't get that cold here for extended periods of time (Portland area). We have had some freak 2 weeks of snow, but mostly rain and dark. We have all the stuff for a light, but the coop is in the back of the yard and we will need to do conduit back there. Nothing is open, so could be returned.

We have 4 red stars (RIR rooster, Delaware hen), 2 BR and 2 Delawares.

Any advice from PNW chicken raisers would be great. I did see another thread, but most of the people that chimed in were from the midwest and use the light for heat as well.

Thanks

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

North of Seattle here... I do not add supplemental heat or light as I feel they just don't need it. Two years ago was it? With all that snow and ice storms and single digit temps... no heat or light added, and matter of fact, only the oldest and youngest hens bothered to go inside to sleep. The rest slept out in the tractor part of the run under a tarp. No frost bite, no chickens lost, and even a few eggs! Ventilation is key, they can hold their own in the cold.

3. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    They'll certainly handle the cold no problem, it's a matter of egg production in the months with shorter days. They need 12-14 hours of light to keep up the good laying. I added lights to my coop last year and it made a difference.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by