light pink combs

jazzymitchell

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 13, 2011
I have a trio of black-tailed jap banties and their combs seem to be fading, they are really light pink. I don't know if maybe something is missing in their diet, or if they are sick? They are still pretty young (not sure exact age,) I haven't had them for very long, Id hate for anything to happen to them that I can prevent.

try a supliment like kickin chicken or nutri drench. that always perks my girls cobs back to bright red and healthy. or just a mash with bird seeds, olive oil and stale bread.

Thanks a lot, Ill give it a try
smile.png

Yeah they have their own run that they play in all day. They pick on each other and play and eat just fine. They act pretty normal...normal poops and all that good stuff...just pretty pink lol

Quote:
First of all don't panic.

Second how young are they. Are they laying yet or have they been laying and stopped?

Third, how long have you had them? How do you know they are pretty young?

Aging a chicken is hard for a novice and even some experienced people. DO NOT do anything until you are sure there is a problem. Treating without knowing what is wrong can be just as bad as not treating.

If you think that they are sick, why? How does their poop look compared to the "poop chart" ? Are they drinking ok? Have you been feeding them anything other than basic feed and water? Are all their combs faded and what do you consider faded? Do you have pics? How are they behaving? Are they acting unusual?

Rancher

No they are not laying yet, not since we've had them anyway.
We've had them for a little over 2 weeks. The man we bought them from said they were from his spring bunch (also we've looked them up and ours don't seem to be as fully developed as the adults we saw.)

I don't 'think' they are sick because they arnt acting any differant than I would expect a chicken to act. As for the poop...(not sure what you mean by poop chart lol) it looks the same as everyone elses. So far.

They seem to be drinking just fine. The only things they get to eat other than feed and whatever they find on the ground is some pieces of bread every once in a while.

All of the japs are faded yes, compared to the other birds anyway. They are light light pink. Not even a color that's halfway red.

I do have a picture of the banty rooster uploaded here somewhere, but I can't seem to do it on this comment.

Well since they are young and not yet laying I wouldn't worry. Some breeds and lines take longer than others to mature. Do you have an exact age?

As for poop? There is a "poop chart" you can google that give an explanation of the most common poops.

While all the books say to look for clean clear red combs, comb color is not the only thing determining the health of a chicken. Further comb color will fade as the hens begin to lay but the degree is subjective to the breed.

As long as they are eating and drinking and running around I think they are fine.

Vitamins and ACV and all that stuff are not to be used on a everyday basis IMO only on occasion. I figure once a month and only for the days water. I prefer to worm twice a year and only in the wet season with Eprinex ivomec pour on. (its really a cattle wormer). I don't like things that require tossing out eggs. Grit on demand is a must IMO.

However ask a question and you will get a bazillion answers and opinions. You need to develop your own regemine and routine. I'm still working on my "system" of management. Always working toward what will take the least amount of time cleaning and feeding and watering the most healthful and beneficial way. Right now I'm looking to bring more light into the coop. Light can kill some molds and may help.

As you "learn" YOUR flocks behaviors you'll notice when things don't seem right.

Take care and I wish you the best,

Rancher

Thanks a lot Rancher. That all makes since
smile.png
(and no on the age, the guy we got them from wasn't particularly helpful.)

So, I have been reading this, and I have a young hen, hatched in May, She was laying, and has stopped, I assume due to the light changes. Her comb is very light compared to her sister's. Her sister has not yet laid an egg, and this one has laid for at least 4 weeks before she stopped. she seems to be in good health otherwise. Should I just watch her, or should I be looking for something?
Thanks for your time and expertise, these are my first. I live in Washington.

Quote:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom