light question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by flopsy, Dec 1, 2008.

1. flopsy

flopsy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2008
    Hubby put light on timer in coop for me. How long will it take to see an increase in egg production? Thanks y'all and Merry Christmas!

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    How many hours of light are you giving them ? Chickens need 14 hours a day to lay good (dont leave it on 24/7) !! It should take a week to 2 weeks, depends on the chicken. Good luck, hope it helps them.

3. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    since this is a very controversial subject..may I reccommend you doing a "search"? The only light we keep in the coop now...after reading the pro's and con's...is a sixty watt over the waterer and even that light worries me.

4. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    You can look at what Redoak has to say, this morning. She has been keeping track of egg production for 6 hens over a few months.

Location makes a difference. I don't know your location but Redoak is in upstate New York (either that or in the former Soviet Union [​IMG]).

Steve
    [​IMG]

5. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Mine took about 2 weeks with lights on timers to start laying again. Also, I recommend setting your lights to turn on in the early AM hours and turning off at dusk so your chickens aren't caught on the ground when the lights go out.

6. flopsy

flopsy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2008
    I have the light set to come on at 4:30 a.m. and go off about 7:30 a.m., about hour after sunrise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by