Light question

Nigellas

Songster
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
I was told by TSC that I needed the red 250 watt light - I also picked up the reflector thingie. Now I'm reading that it's maybe too much heat? Is that true? Thanks!

(Don't worry - no chicks yet - I'm trying to get it figured out before I bring them home)

New hatchlings should be in about 95ºF, but with an area to move away from if they need to.
The usual recommendation is 5º less each week thereafter until feathered (~6 weeks)

I kept my red bulb on a chain and raised and lowered accordingly. It burns hot.

If you have a thermometer it helps. So exciting to get new chicks!!!!

I am trying to figure this out as well. Red light & reflector $20? Ceramic Heat emitter and reflector $40? Brinsea brooder $59? Sweeter heater $75? The cool thing with the last 3 is that they don't put out light so the little fuzzies can have dark when it is supposed to be dark. The last two are also supposed to be very safe, the CHEs don't tend to pop like the red bulbs (if they get bumped or droplets or rapid temp changes) but do get blaaaazing hot. I probably won't be doing a lot of brooding (not planning on it anyway), but I don't want to go cheap and end up with a fire. I am also not sure how many chicks can fit under some of these... I have about 30 coming
ya.gif
. Thoughts?
hu.gif

I changed out my 250 watt red heat lamp light for a 150 watt before the first week. It just felt too hot directly underneath, and my chicks would run across like they were running across hot pavement. I've done some adjusting to the height of my heat lamp according to their behavior. Tonight I saw two of my babes pant a little so I adjusted the lamp again. They seem ok, they're scattered all through the brooder and no more panting. I may change out to the 100 watt sooner than I anticipated. I have heard the 250 watt is too much and like being too cold they can also over heat.
jumpy.gif

thats what i bought. when i tested it overnight it melted my digital thermometer and exploded my mercury one. I bought a 75 watt red bulb at the pet store, and its been PERFECT temps in there ever since

Back
Top Bottom