Red Bulbs - Fire Hazard! CHEAP Bulbs Not Pyrex

Luvducks

Songster
10 Years
Apr 8, 2009
Colorado
On a Thread titled "Holy Crap, My Bulb Exploded" are some EXTREMELY HELPFUL replies and recommendations BESIDES these Red Bulbs which are a Fire Hazard. Like other stories posted I Luckily was working in the Barn when my Bulb Blew Up. No hurt chickens but Shattered ALL over. I beleive bulb is so hot and it was REALLY Cold even in the barn. Other BYC members have suggested CERAMIC HEAT EMITTERS from the reptile section of the Pet Store. This is a much safer solution. Maybe they will chime in with stories. I WILL NOT use a Red Bulb again and BEG you not to leave your house with these left on! I really am not out to make people that work for these companies lose a job but these are A FIRE HAZARD.

UPDATE: Appears we are talking about the less Expensive Bulbs here NOT the Pyrex type. So beware of these cheaper versions. CHEAPER Is NOT always Better!

Last edited:
Thanks to YOUR suggestion of the Ceramic Heat Emitter I will not use Bulbs Ever agin. AND I agree that chicks do not need light 24 hours a day. I am taking your advice. Thank you so much for your help!

Whoa! I have a red heat bulb set up for night time use in the brooder. I'm going to change it out for a ceramic element left over from my son's lizard adventure. Thanks for the warning.

I've had problems with the lamps but the up front cost is better than ceramic. Also IR lamps project to heat what they are aimed at rather than the air.
Sometimes the lamps fail/fall apart and often they just work their way out of the socket during the night. That's why I always use 2.
I use a red and white 24/7 for the first week - then red only at night and white during the day.

I'm assuming you're referring to the 250W red bulbs. These same bulbs are used in countless food warmers all over the world. There generally listed as a 6000 hour bulb, or 250 days if used 24hrs/day. I think the danger may come from rough handling which could cause small cracks that could in time cause breakage. I replace mine yearly and haven't had a problem.

Quote:
I agree using as Food warmers is fine. I have just read to many stories on here about these bulbs starting fires and want people to be aware of this instead of losing LIVE ANIMALS when it can be avoided. I do not leave my toaster or coffee pot plugged in when I am not home. My bulb was Not mishandled. It was securely hanging in the same spot untouched for several weeks and just exploded. Talk to any Fireman and they will tell you of ALL Fire Hazards that may be avoided. Why take the chance? My friends house in PA burnt down because of ONE of those Electric Candles burning in the windows 24 hours a day. NOT Necessary! Last year I had to replace the bulb 3 times and can get a Ceramic Heat Emitter on Ebay for $18.00 including shipping! Now I looked at Petsmart and it was $30.00.

Quote:
I agree using as Food warmers is fine. I have just read to many stories on here about these bulbs starting fires and want people to be aware of this instead of losing LIVE ANIMALS when it can be avoided. I do not leave my toaster or coffee pot plugged in when I am not home. My bulb was Not mishandled. It was securely hanging in the same spot untouched for several weeks and just exploded. Talk to any Fireman and they will tell you of ALL Fire Hazards that may be avoided. Why take the chance? My friends house in PA burnt down because of ONE of those Electric Candles burning in the windows 24 hours a day. NOT Necessary! Last year I had to replace the bulb 3 times and can get a Ceramic Heat Emitter on Ebay for $18.00 including shipping! Now I looked at Petsmart and it was $30.00.

I spent many years as a Fireman. Just the use of electicity has inherent risks. It's true a Ceramic Heat Emitter would be considered a Low Fire Risk. Note: that's a LOW risk, not a NO risk. I'm not sure what wattage your using. In order to produce enough "heat" an emitter using 150W would possibly be used. I was merely trying to add that 250W red bulbs, used in a manner as recommended, could provide a low risk, I was not suggesting that you mishandled yours. I'm sorry for your friends loss, I've been there. Fortunately my family, and pets escaped unharmed. Most of those window candles would use a 7,9, or 15 watt bulb. Which would also be a low risk. I would venture to say something else besides bulb failure occurred. Most likely a short in the candle or highly flammable materials being located too close.

I use a red bulb, but it is the 100w reptile one. It keeps the chicks warm enough and I have used it for the snake forever without a problem.

Back
Top Bottom