Red Bulbs - Fire Hazard! CHEAP Bulbs Not Pyrex

The set up you describe is the same one that hundreds of people on this site use....with no problems. I wouldn't let isolated incidents worry you.

terry's chicks :

Now, I'm worried, I bought a good brand "Sylvania" for $10. leave it on 24/7 with new chick babies, have it clipped on to something over the brooder and the cage lays on the hardware wire. I worry about it burning out when I'm gone to work, was sure I kept it from anything flamable, didin't think about it exploding. What to do????? they are only 4 days old so will be using it for awhile The one you mentioned on e-bay for $18. I'll try and see if I can find it. Do I just search for "Ceramic Heater"?

Don't panic. If your chicks are in someplace reasonabyl warm like a house, then if it goes out they will most likely be fine until you get home. The ceramic emitters have limitted life spans just like a light bulb so they can go out too. The emitters are a lower fire risk, but they produce heat too so should be treated with the same respect as a red heat lamp.

I have 2 heat sources for my chicks until they are at least 2 weeks old so if one bulb goes they will still have th eother. Mine are in a cool basement space so at more risk than if they were someplace warmer.​

Lower your fire risk and electric cost . Use regular incadecent bulbs. Change to lower wattage as the chicks get older. You can paint them red if you want. That is all I am using in my "aquarium brooders" any more. You can even use a regular reflector.

Quote:
Right! I wasn't out to scare the crap out of everyone but just be WARNED. Like they tell us on the news over and over, 4 Wheel Drive is not going to work on ICY roads. I was on another thread and a girl put a 250 Watt Red Cheap Bulb over her Rubbermaid Brooder and it melted the brooder. Just puttin the information out there. I also use regular Light bulbs for a small brooder. I worked for an Electrican for 20 years and realize that ANYTHING plugged in is a hazard. SOME of these can be prevented.

Thanks to everyone for input but as they say Better safe then sorry.
smile.png

EEEEEEEEE! Now Im scared! I was going to set up a Rubbermaid container as my brooder in the house, because we have drafts when the front door opens and it would have walls, and I bought a red heat lamp. That is what we always used for 20+ years when I was growing up. What is the best way to set up a Rubbermaid brooder with the least amount of danger? It is only going to have no more than 15 chicks. I can return the red bulb too. Help me! lol. I get the babies next Wednesday!
hmm.png

Not sure if it's the same as certain fish tank lights, but the really good....and expensive ones say to never touch them with the oils of your hand...that it can cause them to crack when hot....I'm not sure the science behind it, but it couldn't hurt to relay that info....use rubber gloves or paper towel when handling them.

Quote:
For that many chicks you can use an outdoor spot or flood light, (150 watt) lowered to a height that give you the right amount of heat but not close to the side of the plastic container. It will help if you put something over at least part of the container, to restrict airflow and keep some of the heat in.

Quote:
For that many chicks you can use an outdoor spot or flood light, (150 watt) lowered to a height that give you the right amount of heat but not close to the side of the plastic container. It will help if you put something over at least part of the container, to restrict airflow and keep some of the heat in.

As Doxies said, you really do not need a 250 Watt bulb for 15 chicks. 150 Watts is plenty. Please calm down. The person with the Rubbermaid had the 250 Watt light WAY to Close and they get very hot. Many people use Rubbermaid tubs as brooders. Type Rubbermaid brooder into the search tab and there are some great ideas.

Best of Luck with your chicks!

Back
Top Bottom