Light Sussex Friends...

dhh

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 9, 2010
Texas
67456_pb280148.jpg

I tried posting this in a few other places...I purchased this light sussex 12 weeks ago. I thought she was 15 weeks at the time but I don't think that was right. Her comb and wattle still seem very light; I am just not used to these heavy heritage breeds. Any feed back would be appreciated, as we are on egg watch!

The Light Sussex I've seen are real big chickens, and that one looks kinda young to me. Then again I'm not real good at guessing ages of chickens, unless I know when they are hactched.

Last edited:
If she is a non hatchery Sussex, it takes a little while longer for them to develop. Well worth the wait...some can go as late as 30 weeks.

I am in too minds on this one. I breed Sussex and the body shape and size from the picture looks about right for the age you say she is but the comb makes me think a little younger. My light Sussex generally are laying around the 20-22 week age but bearing in mind you are in winter over there now maybe why you haven't got any eggs yet. Do you have any pictures of her from when you first got her. That may help with the age better.

Unfortunately, I don't. However, I can tell you it is 65 degrees today here in Texas, even though it is winter:)

I really love the Sussex breed and would love to have more...I just need to get used to the wait for eggs! (to be fair I've only had hatchery run before..I've just recently delved into heritage breeds)

Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom