Light Sussex or Colombian Wyandotte?

prvrbs31gal

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 3, 2011
We just got a pair of Wyandottes yesterday... a Silver Laced and Colombian. They were from the same shipment from the hatchery, but the Colombian is larger that the SL. And then I noticed that the Colombian's legs are much lighter... which leads me to believe she may be a Light Sussex?

What do you all think?

The leg color is wrong; it should be a yellow color, like your Silver-Laced Wyandotte. However, you do have a Columbian Wyandotte, as the bird has a rose comb, not a single comb. You will enjoy your Columbian Wyandotte. I have one, and she is the sweetest, most loving, most intelligent bird I have.

Sussex are great layers!

My Speckled Sussex started laying right in the middle of winter - she gives me 6 weeks a week right now
smile.png

This chick looks a whole lot like my Light Sussex. Per Wikipedia: "The colors found in Sussex chickens are: Brown, Buff, Light, Red, Speckled, Silver, White and Coronation. The Sussex chicken, whatever color, should be graceful with a long, broad, flat back and a rectangular build, the tail should be at a 45 degree angle from the body. The eyes should be red in the darker varieties but orange in the lighter one and they sport a medium sized, single, erect comb. The earlobes are red and the legs and skin white in every variety."

Light Sussex chickens are pretty rare in the US. I can't see where you are from.

This chick looks a whole lot like my Light Sussex. Per Wikipedia: "The colors found in Sussex chickens are: Brown, Buff, Light, Red, Speckled, Silver, White and Coronation. The Sussex chicken, whatever color, should be graceful with a long, broad, flat back and a rectangular build, the tail should be at a 45 degree angle from the body. The eyes should be red in the darker varieties but orange in the lighter one and they sport a medium sized, single, erect comb. The earlobes are red and the legs and skin white in every variety."

Light Sussex chickens are pretty rare in the US. I can't see where you are from.

The reason why prvrbs31gal's birds are not Sussex is that they have rose combs, not single combs.

On a side note, how old are they? The silver laced's face and wattles look rather red.

They were born sometime in April, so they are 14-18 weeks old. The SL is smaller than the Colombian... please tell me she's not a 'he'.... we had a BLRW that we had to get rid of b/c 'she' started crowing at 7 months!!!

Yes, you have one Silver-Laced Wyandotte and one Columbian Wyandotte. The leg color, as Wyandottes7 mentioned, should be yellow, though in your bird's case, it is white. Problems like that are common in hatchery chickens. The rose comb is what tells us that your bird is a Wyandotte, not a Sussex.

And as for gender, I think that both are pullets. While the Silver-Laced is redder in the face, the actual size of the comb and wattles is not much greater than that of the Columbian. My guess is that she is just maturing faster, and is closer to laying, than the Columbian Wyandotte. Still, Wyandottes are hard to sex, so I could very well be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom