Light Sussex

I have three light Sussex and one of mine looks just like yours with more of a pinkish comb than the other two. Looks like a hen to me, but I am no expert.

what do ye think

Last edited:
They are hard to find but there is one in Illinois called Chicken Scratch Poultry. You might want to start there since they are closer to you. If they don't have any I'm sure they can tell you when they will or who you could contact. I would try to buy closer to you if possible..It's just my preference but I don't like buying chickens or eggs that have to travel from one coast to the other. I know people do but I am a worry wart. I love my Light Sussex...they are so pretty...good luck..

Well my sussex is still looking female at 20 weeks. (Do you agree?) These are my 3 amigos. Since I only had one Coronation Sussex hatch, I kept two EEs for company. I'm still hoping they join the flock, but they still only hang out with each other. Only sleep in the coop with the others, then back outside for the day. Even in the snow, they go outside!

Do you think they'll eventually meld? I honestly don't want more blue egg layers. They're only with us to make the transition less stressful so I can finally have a sussex.

Are the Sussex very good layers once they mature? It takes about 6-8mo to mature b/c of the big size, right?

I am certainly no expert on chickens and have only done some research on light Sussex. To me they still look female but someone else might know more about it. They sure are pretty!! As far as melding with the others they should do just fine. As they mature it should all work out. It did with mine. Light Sussex are supposed to be good layers. Mine are about 8 months old and still no sign of eggs. The rooster seems to think they are ready, he is always jumping on them. People tell me they will lay when they are ready...I wish they would hurry up. Sorry to be so vague about things but I have only had chickens for a little under a year. I am learning so much!!! Good luck!!

Does anyone know a mail order hatchery that sells light sussex chicks? We've traditionally purchased from McMurray, but they only offer the speckled sussex variety. I could potentially go for eggs, my brother has an incubator he'd probably let me use to hatch some, but I've generally just ordered chicks in the past.

I got my Light Sussex eggs from J & S Farms in Linwood , NC. I don't know where you live and I am not sure if John mails eggs or not. I live about 10 miles from him so I just went and picked them up. You can email him or give him a call. You might have to leave a message as he is very busy.
[email protected] and his phone number is 336-752-2886. Good luck..

I don't know if he will mail them. Since I live here I just go there and get what I want. He is not easy to get ahold of with all his other things he does. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom