Light wattage for coop

jkg

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 26, 2009
AZ
What kind of wattage light do I need to trick my chickens into laying more eggs? The specifics of my application are putting it in a roughly 4'x6' coop. I happen to have a low voltage lighting system for landscape lights that is already on a timer and is only a few feet away from the coop, so I'd just tap into that system... I was thinking of maybe a 20 watt halogen. It is relatively warm where we are, so heat output makes no difference... just looking to simulate more daylight. I'd like to use the smallest light possible in order to not tax the existing system more than required.

I use the little appliance light bulbs as well, 40 watt. They don't give off heat, just low level light, and work really well. My nine girls lay anywhere from 6 to 9 eggs and we are in a cold climate where it's very cloudy and dismal most of the winter. I think that's pretty good.

Welcome to BYC, jkg!

I use an 11 watt compact fluorescent light (CFL) in the insulated room of my coop. It is 3.5' by 7.5' so very similar in size to yours. I don't know much about halogen lighting, however. My birds are laying well.

Chickens have a poor ability to see in low-light situations but bright light can cause behavior problems. They may start pecking each other in those conditions.

If I remember right, 10 lux (1 foot candle) in their "work area" is considered adequate. (The most important work area for a chicken coop is the feed and water
wink.png
.) So, we are talking about illumination. Illumination is sometimes measured at the bulb for lights and that's not very helpful.

The rule of thumb is that you should be able to read a newspaper if it is held in that area.

Here's an article that explains a poultry scientist's ideas on lighting.

It is not bright/bright but should be comfortable.

Steve

I would use a 40 watt compact fluorescent that screws into a regular light socket and only draws 10 watts.They also last longer than incandescent bulbs.I have one in my 8'x10' coop with a reflecting light fixture and it works great.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom