Light weight and durable chicken tractor

Curious if you have considered sourcing some used/recycled billboard materials as a tarp alternative. I know they lack grommets, but that vinyl is definitely weather ready, and runs 9-16 oz, essentially 11-17 mils thickness. I'm sure the chickens don't care about sheltering under an advertisement. I've not compared pricing - just curious.

It is something I've considered, but not actually looked into all that hard. The goal with this project was to use materials that could be easily sourced by anyone pretty much anywhere. I do have as section in the guide that deals with alternative roofing options. Billboard vinyl is mentioned there. I'm hoping to have more information before I publish it.

I sent a message with the current draft to you both. I'm still figuring out some features of this forum, so hopefully that works.

If anyone else is interested in the draft, feel free to send me a message here or through e-mail ([email protected]). Feedback is always appreciated.
Thanks! Will give it the attention it deserves a bit later. Appreciate you.

I sent a message with the current draft to you both. I'm still figuring out some features of this forum, so hopefully that works.

If anyone else is interested in the draft, feel free to send me a message here or through e-mail ([email protected]). Feedback is always appreciated.

Thank you. I'm off tomorrow and might have time to read it then. :)

Curious if you have considered sourcing some used/recycled billboard materials as a tarp alternative. I know they lack grommets, but that vinyl is definitely weather ready, and runs 9-16 oz, essentially 11-17 mils thickness. I'm sure the chickens don't care about sheltering under an advertisement. I've not compared pricing - just curious.
That sounds very interesting! I have never heard of using that before. Where would you find this material, or is it just luck of the draw?

That sounds very interesting! I have never heard of using that before. Where would you find this material, or is it just luck of the draw?
https://www.billboardvinyls.com

I'm on my second year using one to cover a hoop coop. Purchased a 20 x 60 tarp. We've used pieces of it for many things. You can buy grommets and a grommet setter too.

You can choose white or black tarp, but the ad printed on it is totally luck of the draw. Mine was the new Jumanji movie.

Is it holding up good? Also, if I wanted to use a more open coop like the one poultryprofessor posted in the winter, what would I have to do to it to make it withstand my average coldest temp which is about 25, although I will tell you that it does not get that cold for very long before going back up?

Back
Top Bottom