Light

Izzymoon

Songster
7 Years
Apr 19, 2012
My Coop
My Coop
Hi,
As the days get shorter, we are putting a light in the coop to keep the girls on a schedule for egg production. My husband has the timer on so they stay up till 9pm, but I think they should wake up early instead about 4am, and then have it go off when the sun comes up...any school of thoughts? Thanks for the help

Since chickens are all but night blind, we have our light come on in the morning and it's shut off at sun up. We don't light at night because if it's too light they don't know to go inside and when it just shuts off, they can be blinded and not be able to find their way in for the night. The sun sets about 5:30pm now, so in order to get their 16 hours, we'd set the timer to come on about 2am and shut off at 6. That way they have light from 2am to 5:30pm and can just "go to bed" when twilight sets in.

You should have 14 hours a day I have read.

Some do morning light and evening light. I would do both if it were me- but you want to avoid having the light cut off on them and they are still on the floor. Then they can't see to get on the roost. They DO learn, though!

I do run a light in the evening just to facilitate a nice snack for everyone before they roost (they congregate around the feeder one last time). They have learned to get onto that roost quick!

My coop is a bit tight for 9 BO so I go with the early morning light and then just enough light to draw them back into the coop and roost before lights out.

thanks guys for the help! I think we will do the split, I have noticed they get confused at night having the light on

Back
Top Bottom