Lightening

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by farmerchris, Feb 7, 2008.

1. farmerchris

farmerchris New Egg

Sep 27, 2007
    Oklahoma
    We currently have heat lamps in our chicken coop along with regular light bulbs for lighting. Now on the heat lamps would it be better to use red bulbs or white bulbs? I am currently getting 4-7 eggs daily now and I would love for that to increase. What do you all use and recommend?

2. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    I have been using the white light all winter. They have slowed a little since the first of winter but I am still having like 75% of them laying right now. I never liked the red bulbs, and have never been to clear as to why someone needs to use them. They mess with my eyes to much.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    The red is to help with picking. Especially new chicks. A larger number of chicks in a brooder will peck and pick one another's feet until bloody. The red light helps to stop this. It helps obstruct their vision. I guess those little toes look like fat worms. lol

4. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    MissPrissy wrote:The red is to help with picking

Same thing.

I was told that the red ones makes everything look red so they cannot see the blood on their coop mates. Since they cannot smell blood you have to try to stop them from seeing it.

If they are not fighters and do not tend to draw blood I see no reason for the red lights. Supposedly the red lights do not interfere with daylight whereas if you keep white light on too long it does.

[​IMG]

.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by