Lighting for indoor chickens

Hello I am new to chickens but not to birds :eek:) I love my 2 babies 1-Black sex link and 1 Lavendar orpinton. Recently we were informed that they will be doing heavy construction near our home and we will need to keep our 1 month old chickens in doors for up to 3 months because of the noise and lots of dust, right now they are still in a large brooding box with a heat plate. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as the best lighting to use since they will be in a room with very filtered sunlight. Any advice would be great. I purchased them a big cage to house them in but I am just worried about the lack of UVA/UVB and full spectrum light from the sun. I had parrots for a large majority of my life so I know the importance of the daylight. Hope everyone is having a great day :eek:)
Welcome to the group! One thing that I have seen is that Teflon coated lights will kill birds. There's a thread on it here somewhere....I'd encourage you to look for it. There have been some real tragedies!

Eggscaping is 100% right, DO NOT USE ANY TEFLON COATED LIGHTS, - as they heat up they give off teflon fumes that will kill chickens. If you use them in your house, it will also kill caged bird.

I don't even use teflon pans for cooking.
The lights are not for heating. The OP is using a Brooder plate for heat.

Good reminder about teflon for those using lights for heat though.

:thumbsup

Welcome to the group! One thing that I have seen is that Teflon coated lights will kill birds. There's a thread on it here somewhere....I'd encourage you to look for it. There have been some real tragedies!
WOW thanks for the info!!! Probably not safe for us humans either haha

Back
Top Bottom