Lighting for winter time...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by tessanoel1999, Aug 27, 2014.

1. tessanoel1999

tessanoel1999 Just Hatched

Jul 26, 2014
    I was wondering if anyone has tried using those solar pathway lights as lighting supplement for their quail and if it works or not? I noticed some on clearance at Target and thought to myself, hmmm, that would be cheap and easy. I think the highest lumen I saw was 3. Would that be enough?

2. HowieNZ

HowieNZ Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2013
    Dunedin, New Zealand
    Hi,
    3 things come to mind and no I haven't tried solar LED lights but pondered on it.
    1: there is no doubt enough LEDS will produce enough light but does it provide the right full Spectrum light suitable to promote egg production?
    2: Solar lights may be difficult to set to set on a timer. Ideally you want a total of 14 hours of light for optimum egg production, more than 14 hours of light may cause unnecessary stress to the quail.
    3: It is also good for the hen quail to have some down time from egg laying to have a moult and for their bodies to recover from the rigours of laying an egg nearly every day.

3. tessanoel1999

tessanoel1999 Just Hatched

Jul 26, 2014
    All true. Thank you.

4. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

If you want to learn the science behind lighting the birds here is a link that will take you to several informative links regarding lighting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by