lighting/heating question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fzouk, Mar 24, 2009.

1. fzouk

fzouk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    middle Tennessee
    I got a book from the library "Choosing and Keeping Chickens" by Chris Graham and he says that a white light is the worst kind of light and not good to use. The brightness keeps them from sleeping well and makes them nervous, and also they grow too fast. He said that the red lights are "poor consolation" and that the best thing is to have your light and heat separate. I have a white heat lamp bulb and also a red one. This is my first day with the chicks and I've had the white one in but was thinking of switching to the red for the night, and possibly keeping the red since I've seen some pecking that I couldn't tell if it was friendly or not.

So what do you guys use? What do you think about what this author says? I see lots of pictures where people are using the white heat lamps.

Thanks as always!
    Frances

2. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    I use a 250w red heat lamp on a thermostat. The thermostat allows me to turn down the temperature as the chicks get older, without having to raise the light higher above the brooder. It also lets it go off, getting them used to being in the dark. Chickens don't see well in red light (so I've heard) and any blood that they may draw by picking each other doesn't stand out so well either. Just what has worked for me.[​IMG]

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I raised my first brood with white light and my 2nd is being raised with red. Either is fine and I haven't noticed a significant difference.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    People have been successful using both white and red. Brooders are different and chicks personalities are different. Sometimes you get nervous chicks or a bully. The red light normally keeps them calmer. I have not experienced it, but people have posted that switching from a white light to red has sometimes stopped serious pecking. You can try either one and probably be successful. I have a red one for my brooder.

5. purecountrychicken

purecountrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Gray Court, SC
    I used a white light with my first chicks. But thinking about using white during the day then red at night, see how it goes. But I really dont think it matters too much.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Ask 10 owners and get 20 best ways to do things. [​IMG]

I've used plain white 60-100W bulbs for things from silkies to freak out leghorns without issue.

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I use a plain white 60 watt bulb too in my brooder lamp. I do have a wireless digital thermometer with an alarm so if for any reason the temp goes down the alarm will go off.

8. Autumn Mama

Autumn Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    British Columbia,
    I'm currently using a 250 watt, with the chicks now at 1 1/2 weeks old, and they are content and active, not bothering each other in any way that seems un-natural.

They are definitely growing, but what would "too fast" look like anyhow? Not sure i'd know how that looked. [​IMG]

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Friendly pecking?

10. ScrmnWoody

ScrmnWoody Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2009
    Whatcom County, WA
    I have ten 16-day old chicks under two 250w red lamps (in case one goes out). They have a 4 x 4 brooder to get away from the heat if they need to. I don't use any other additional lighting other than the daylight that enters the garage.

They seem to be doing well, so far. They sleep a lot because they are babies. But, when they are awake, they're active and appear relaxed. All ten are RIR.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by