lighting in coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Rpeeps, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Rpeeps

Rpeeps Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2015
    SE Ga.
    Basic ? Do I need a light inside my coop? I do not have one now... My children are only 3 weeks old, yes I have them in the coop and they are just fine, but worried if I need a light in winter time ANY type of lite/heat lamp etc. TIA :)

2. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    Light bulbs are bad,it makes it seem like daylight and your hens stay up.And it's not necessary.......

3. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

In Georgia you will never need a light for the chickens... you might like one so that YOU can see if you are doing chores late at night/early morning, or in a thunderstorm.

4. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

exterior lights set on a motion sensor might be helpful with finding predators (they wont keep the predators away, they will help you see them)

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Agrees that you might want a light in there for you to see if necessary.......
    ........and you might want a light that can be put on a timer for supplemental lighting in the winters to keep them laying when the days are short.

I don't like motion sensor lights, they can be too sensitive, going on and off and on and off with insects.......might disturb the birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by