Lighting - type and time

WA23

Songster
11 Years
Aug 17, 2008
Northwest WA State
This might be a silly question but would a CFL be fine for lighting in the coop or should it be an incandecent? A 13w CFL is cheaper to operate, but I do not want to cause harm to the birds or mess them up egg wise (I said it was a silly question)
Also, it is getting to be the time of year where there is not as much daylight, so I was wondering if leaving the light on in the coop all night long would be a bad idea.

My chickens are not laying yet (@20 weeks) and do have an outside run if any of that makes a difference.

CFL's are just fine for lighting. Your birds won't care. As for amount of light, I would not leave it on all night long. Just use a time clock of some sort and give them a few extra hours during the cooler months.

I never wanted to leave it on all night, but when I bought the chickens (about 4 months ago) the place I purchased them said to leave a light on 24/7. I thought it sounded cruel, but hey, what do I know about chickens. I am still learning (alot though thanks to this site).

Yep. 14 hours of light is optimum for laying. It's best to add the additinal time in the morning hours with a timer, so the flock can go to roost with the normal daylight...not getting caught off the roost at the feeder or waterer when the light clicks off, if the timer is set for pm hours....
he.gif

bigzio

I agree, don't keep the light on all night. Let the birds get some shut-eye. Use the light to lengthen the day a couple of hours. I have a timer turn a low watt CFL bulb early in the morning. In the evening, the natural sunset signals the birds to go back in to roost.

Wayne

Back
Top Bottom