lighting

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by AMBene, Jan 18, 2011.

1. AMBene

AMBene Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2010
    Slidell
    Does anyone use solar lighting to extend laying seasons?

2. SmartyChick

SmartyChick An Official Milkmaid

Oct 19, 2009
    Sullivan County NY
    No, we use an electric light with an extension chord and a timer. [​IMG]

3. cluckin_crazy

cluckin_crazy Green Bot

Nov 29, 2009
    Queen Creek, AZ
    Quote:Ditto, but I'm ok using the extra electricity because I have solar on the house and haven't paid an electricity bill in 2 months [​IMG]

4. jktrahan

jktrahan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Sweet Lake
    Yes I do, and it's awsome! I had been wanting to do the same thing but could not find any of the solar yard lights. Well over the weekend the local walmart must have gotten their shippment in cause there was about 30 kinds to choose from. I picked up the smallest one I could find. I had read on this forum that you only need enough light to be able to read a newspaper and my coop is extremely small (chicken tractor\\ark). I just removed the bottom part of the light and drilled a small hole in the top of the coop so the led light would slide in and it works great. When i got home it was already dark and i installed it and the next morning it was still working. I plan on pulling the battery out this summer.

Check it out: http://themtrahans.com/wordpress/?p=520

5. GoChick

GoChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2010
    Quote:Ditto, but I'm ok using the extra electricity because I have solar on the house and haven't paid an electricity bill in 2 months [​IMG]

Oh I wish I lived in Arizona...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by