lights for heat

Regular lights would work fine. Even us humans should avoid being exposed to too much black lights as that is UV and not so good for skin and retnas. It's the main cause of skin cancer, UV exposure that is. Most party black lights emit very low levels vs cell culture hood lights, but being under it every night isn't a good thing.

Yes, red lights would do the trick. I also use a red night light in my bedroom when I sleep at night and it has a pretty soothing effect(what? I'm scared of the dark!). I haven't had experience in black lights though, so it's probably best not to use it, just to be sure. But silkiechicken has some great info about UV lights, so it's really best not to use them for now.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Yes I agree with SIllychick on the red heat emitting lights for their sleeping area and you can use a halogen bulb in their pen to boost some daylight and give a bit of heat if you want, never heard of a black light being used but that is disorienting to me and gives off no heat that I'm aware, so unless you have chickens that like to rock out, just use the red lights, the halogen or the regular
smile.png

THE WATTAGE ON BLACKLIGHT INCANDESCENT LAMPS IS TOO LOW TO PUT OUT ENOUGH BTU'S(HEAT) TO BE USEFUL. CLEAR LAMPS PUT OUT MORE BTU'S THAN FROSTED, FLUORESCENT SCREW-IN BULBS DON'T WORK EITHER...THEY ARE ONLY FOR LIGHT NOT HEAT. WATTAGE IS WHAT ALWAYS MAKES THE DIFFERENCE...THE MORE WATTS, THE MORE BTU'S. ALSO, MAKE SURE U USE A REFLECTOR TO DIRECT THE LIGHT DOWNWARD. I USE A 150W HALOGEN FLOOD LAMP AND IT WORKS GREAT, NOT TOO MUCH, NOT TOO LITTLE. U CAN USE HEAT LAMPS TOO, THEY COME IN CLEAR OR RED...ITS JUST EXPENSIVE B/C OF POWER USAGE. I OWN A ELECTRICAL SUPPLY HOUSE, SO IF U NEED ANY MORE INFO...JUST ASK.
HOPE THIS HELPS,
SHAUN

Thanks for all the info! I know all about the UV lights under the hood in micro but I didn't know the black lights(party lights) were basically the same thing and emitted UV rays also. I won't put them in my coop. I did buy a red heat bulb(the kind for reptiles) and I have a reflector so I'll use that if the weather gets terribly cold here again(right now it's warmed up a bit).

Hmmmm, I wonder what a black light WOULD look like in the coop.....

Back
Top Bottom