Lights for the run/coop during winter when sun goes down by 4:30!

This is great input. I originally considered the lights since they are roosting at 4:45pm until
6-6:30 am. Seemed to be too much perch time, but i dunno, in nature they get along fine. Maybe I’ll do the low light from 4:30pm-5:30.
One less hour on the roost. I figured they are bored bored bored on the roost that entire time. Thanks for your input. 🐓❤️
Nah they're not bored, not the way a human would be. My birds are roosting around 4:30 PM and some don't come off the roost until well past sunrise (like 9 AM). The main concern would be if day length was so short that the chickens don't have enough hours of light to adequately feed themselves to maintain weight, but I don't think anywhere in the continental US falls under that.

Nah they're not bored, not the way a human would be. My birds are roosting around 4:30 PM and some don't come off the roost until well past sunrise (like 9 AM). The main concern would be if day length was so short that the chickens don't have enough hours of light to adequately feed themselves to maintain weight, but I don't think anywhere in the continental US falls under that.
Thank you RMT, I appreciate you once again taking the time to address my questions and concerns. You always do. And i thank you. I’d like to think my flock is thriving and thanks to you and a handful of other priceless gems here at BYC I’m able to really enjoy my first experiences as a chicken owner. knowing in the back of my mind, that if i ever have an issue or question i can come here for sound, professional advice! How cool! I love the BYC community. Its my peaceful place in a world gone mad! ☮️🐓❤️

Hey hey! My reason for the lights is; they are roosting 4:45pm - 6:30am and i thought about ways to keep them ‘awake’ a little longer. 10hrs a night is a lot of roosty time. I wanted to engage in conversation with the chicken pros (YOU being one Dobie, lol). Them not being able to see when the light clicks off is certainly the #1 reason i will not attempt this. And also because it goes against nature. Thats really the #1 reason, but you know what i mean. Thanks for your time Dobie. 🐓❤️
I live on Long Island and right now it’s getting dark about 430 or so…I put a little nightlight on about 330 and they go in by themselves about four-ish and then I give them about a half an hour or so to roost and then the lights shut off automatically from the timer this way l know that they’re sleeping and nobody has to worry about finding a roost because they already found them when they first went inside, seems to work for me

Hello! I may have made a post asking this, but havnt received any response so I’ll assume it didnt post. Is it unheard of to add lights to the run/coop from 4:30-6pm or so? I live in a valley in CT and the girls go to roost around 4:30-4:45pm. Sunrise around 6:45am. Adding light to run/coop will allow them to ‘stay up a little longer’. Opinions and expertise is appreciated. Thank you! 🐓❤️
I was searching for answers to your same questions! I live in Colorado and worry my girls aren’t getting enough daylight. Do any folks put bulbs in their coop to extend the day a bit? Do hens care if they lay fewer eggs? Thanks

I was searching for answers to your same questions! I live in Colorado and worry my girls aren’t getting enough daylight. Do any folks put bulbs in their coop to extend the day a bit? Do hens care if they lay fewer eggs? Thanks
That's up to you. It certainly doesn't hurt them to stop laying in winter (it's a natural effect of shorter daylight) but depending on who you ask, it may or may not harm them to extend laying through winter with addition of lights.

Additional lighting may be needed if day length is so short that the birds are not able to eat enough to maintain weight/temperature but you're not so close to the poles where that should be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom