Lights in coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Kim_1970, May 14, 2010.

1. Kim_1970

Kim_1970 Songster

Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    What type of lights do you all use inside your coop? I am finishing up this weekend but have not yet done any lights. I am going to put the red brooder light out there for the nights right now since they are only 6 weeks or so but what do you all do for regular lights? Fluorescent? Regular bulb?

2. i use florescent because it is cheaper and put it on a timer in the fall. Other than that I don't use a light in the coop.

3. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I bought the solar patio umbrella lights since they will snap onto about any where.
    The thing I have to remember is to put them where the sun will hit them about 8 hours a day. Never a problem for me (not much shade here) and I can unsnap them when I need them inside the shed or a coop or even a tractor.
    I used one when I moved some 2 month old chicks out to a tractor last summer. They did not need the heat but still wanted the light where it would shine inside the big dog crate for them. My little babies![​IMG]

4. CityChook

CityChook Songster

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    I have an LED light in the coop for summertime. It's pretty dim, but costs next to nothing to run. I only use it if I'm out there after dark, which is pretty rare. For winter, when I need to inspire the girls to lay, I use a clear 60 watt bulb on a cheap christmas light timer for nice white light. I use a ceramic bulb (no light) for heat in the winter.

5. Psak9Sports

Psak9Sports In the Brooder

Apr 29, 2010
    Annapolis, Maryland
    I bought a couple of the ceramic bases at lowes and installed them into junction boxes on the trusses on the coop ceiling. Then installed a 16w compact fluroscent bulb into them, low cost, no heat produced and plenty of light for night...

Justin

6. Bearsfan

Bearsfan Songster

Oct 21, 2009
    Hannibal, MO
    Quote:Be careful with those CFL's. I was using one on my porch and when the bulb burned out it started on fire.

Actual flames. I am glad I was there to see it.

I still use them inside, but not outside or in a fixture that will be left unattended when the light is on.

7. CityChook

CityChook Songster

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    Bearsfan, is that normal? I don't have much experience with CFLs, but I have them all over my house...

8. Bearsfan

Bearsfan Songster

Oct 21, 2009
    Hannibal, MO
    Quote:I don't think it is really normal, but it happens often enough that people are talking about it. Google "CFL fire".

I use them inside also. I just don't use them in any socket that will be on overnight or be unattended for a while.

When mine started burning, I heard it start crackling. It crackled and popped and smoked just before the flames started. I ran inside the door and shut off the switch and it stopped crackling. By the time I got the cover off of the fixture it was pretty much done smoking.

Just be careful where you use them. Try LED's or a rope light in the coop if you want less expensive or long lasting cool light.

9. CityChook

CityChook Songster

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    wow. thanks for the info. the last thing I need to do is burn down my coop....

10. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    I have a 250W heat lamp and a 100W equivalent CFL, both on timers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by