Lights in run???

We were discussing the idea of putting lights in the coop to boost laying (which I'm opposed to and we're not going to do) and my mom mentioned putting lights in the run. Is this a thing?? Would there be benefits to this? Thoughts?

Its a thing but why? when its dark they go to bed in the coop.

I think most people put lights in the run for decoration.
Could bother the birds tho if they shine into the coop.
One guy here has lights in the very secure run, for winter laying, because that's where he keeps the feed/water.

I use a headlight for night chores, and have a hand held floodlight for predator scares(never had one-except raccoons and opossum in my grill-nowhere near the coop). Motion activated lights could bother the birds, I know they bother me when every little thing sets them off, have one here but sensor is deactivated.
Our lights are in the secure run. They are old Christmas icicle lights. They shine in the coop window, with the hope they simulate the sun rising in the East. We started turning them on about a week ago using a timer. Every morning they come on 5 minutes earlier. 15 minutes after they come on, all the girls are out in the secure run.

At night, when we do the nightly check and headcount, we use a little flashlight.

Attachments

• 20201105_053217.jpg
    20201105_053217.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 8
Our lights are in the secure run. They are old Christmas icicle lights. They shine in the coop window, with the hope they simulate the sun rising in the East. We started turning them on about a week ago using a timer. Every morning they come on 5 minutes earlier. 15 minutes after they come on, all the girls are out in the secure run.

At night, when we do the nightly check and headcount, we use a little flashlight.
Can your birds come out to the run anytime they want?
I wish my timer went in 5 min increments.

Last edited:
Can your birds come out to the run anytime they want?
I wish my timer went in 5 min increments.
We leave the pop door open 24x7. We think the run is secure enough to take this risk. So far, two years without a problem. 🤞

The lights are connected to a "smart" plug. In the picture it is the white thing plugged into the power strip. The black plug is the stock tank heater. The power strip is plugged in to the GFI plug just out of sight. The smart plug we can control from inside the house. I do have to update the routine each day to set time back by 5 minutes. The routine also knows to turn off the lights 15 minutes after sunrise. So that part, no need to update.

Attachments

• 20201119_121708 (1).jpg
    20201119_121708 (1).jpg
    382.8 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom