lights on 24/7?

pgras123

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 23, 2008
Greenfield Indiana
Well, the heat lamp is great in the hen house -70 degrees at night. One heat lamp in 64 square feet. Now the question - is having the light on all the time a bad idea? I know I wouldn't want to sleep with the lights on. Maybe I should get a red bulb? Am I thinking too much?! Any thoughts please.
hmm.png

I have artificial lighting 14 hours a day. I let them roost with the natural light.

I don't worry about the cold. Mine are all winter hardy.

I think that would be too much light......might wear them out.

I'm sure someone will advise that knows more than me.

Good Luck,

Mary

Thanks Mary, I have fished the white river in Mountain home great place! Thanks for the thoughts - I think you are right - too much light - and I don't think they need 70 degrees.

I wouln't think it necessary for 24/7 unless you really want eggs. You have some pampered chickens there. I just started with the wood stove last night when the temp got down in the single digits for the first time. I let the fire go out overnight. The temp outside was 24 at 6 AM and the inside temp was 44. I don't plan on using the stove if the temps are higher than 20 degrees. Also electric heat lamps are expensive! Here's my coop page.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=14471-coop-layout

Quote:
Thanks!! We retired down here about a year ago........travelled from Wisconsin.

I love it. All the lakes and rivers.

We dock a boat on Norfork. Beats driving 5 hrs. to N. WI. to our cottage to fish!!!

Mary

If your birds are going to have that much heat all the time you could have big problems if the power goes out. You might be training them to be weak. If you're looking to up the egg output get a timer on your lights for 5am (which is usually the coldest part of the morning anyway) and them let them go to bed at a normal time.

24/7 light is bad for animals. Messes with hormones and sleep cycles to create stress. Try a tinted bulb if your going to run the heat lamp overnight.

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy :

If your birds are going to have that much heat all the time you could have big problems if the power goes out. You might be training them to be weak. If you're looking to up the egg output get a timer on your lights for 5am (which is usually the coldest part of the morning anyway) and them let them go to bed at a normal time.

Agreed. Although it's not really training them it's letting them acclimate naturally so they can handle the cold. It's like someone from Indiana coming down to Arkansas in January and laughing at all us natives for wearing coats while you're in shirt sleeves. You're acclimated to colder temps. Your chickens can do the same thing if you don't provide them with that coat (heat lamp).
Light 24/7 is stressful and can lead to pecking issues. It makes them restless and cooped up they'll go looking for trouble - like pecking on their nearest neighbor for example.​

Back
Top Bottom