Lights out!

AMChandler

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 24, 2010
Missouri
Hey everybody, just wondering something: due to circumstances beyond my control right now, my chicks have to spend the night with no light in the brooder. I did have a 60 watt in one of those reflector things above them in the brooder. Tonight I had to make another brooder and split them up five and five. They are getting so big and overcrowded and I noticed they were getting a chick down on the ground and pecking on it, so we split them up. Anyway, they aren't going to have a light tonight. Right now, they are all sleeping. Will they be ok for one night? They are in the house, it's warm in here, and they are 4 1/2 weeks. Should I throw a towel or something over part of the top or something? I can't go out tonight to fix the light problem.

They may be pecking because they were too warm in there. At four and a half weeks in the house they should not need much heat at all. Keep an eye on them I bet they do well without the light.

It was warm outside today, so it's still pretty warm in here. Just checked the thermostat. It said 74 degrees. I did leave the overhead light on in the room they are in. I figured they are used to having a light on, so that might keep them quiet. Also: they've been going outside in the run for a few hours since it's been so warm the last few days. They love it! Usually, it makes them tired and they zonk right out and sleep all night when they come back. They were pretty stirred up tonight though until we separated them.

Last edited:
I think they will be fine. Keep an eye on them and if they are dog piling then you could have a problem. Keep out of drafts for sure... good Luck

Thanks for the advice. I put a towel over them - about 3/4 covered cuz I'm afraid they'll smother. They are in there whistling softly. No loud chirping like they are supposed to do when they are upset.

My babies are 4 weeks now and they have been going without light all night for four or five days now. Our house stays about 65 or 70, but they have not piled at all.

Back
Top Bottom