Like a duck to water.....?!?

7F7DA57A-7359-4958-B5D7-624AADCA235E.jpeg
Well, I had to move their house down to the pond but they definitely found the water! They had been staying in their little corner of the pond but today they ventured out!

That’s awesome any way you can put up some kind of shelters so if a flying predator was near they could get up under?
The hawks around here are red tails and are not going to go after a bird this size I wouldn’t think. I’ve only seen eagles fly by twice.

That being said, they stick pretty close to their house most of the time that is under some large pecan trees? Or they can go under the dock or the small clump of trees.

don't be so sure!
The other side of the equation is that they will not go into their house at night.... i cannot corral them at all. They are pretty much on their own. I've been trying to feed them in their house but that is mixed good vs bad... good if I could lure them in and close the door at night because that is where they have weather protection.... but bad news if they are in there and a predator gets them cornered.... They seem to spend their nights on the pond bank so if anything comes up they can get into the water.

I'm going to keep working on getting them to trust me enough to go where I want them, until then it is just fingers crossed.

Edit to add, owls would be the only concern that could get them if they are on the water... and the owls are big enough.

Well, idk. I lock mine up in their predator proof pen at dusk every single night. I made the mistake of thinking that "surely as big as my ducks are nothing can carry them off". I didn't take into consideration that a predator from above can swoop down, kill them and eat them right on the spot. See the white duck in my avatar? That's Daisy my beautiful love duck that was killed in just that manner at 3:00 in the afternoon!

Back
Top Bottom