Like a duck to water.....?!?

Well, idk. I lock mine up in their predator proof pen at dusk every single night. I made the mistake of thinking that "surely as big as my ducks are nothing can carry them off". I didn't take into consideration that a predator from above can swoop down, kill them and eat them right on the spot. See the white duck in my avatar? That's Daisy my beautiful love duck that was killed in just that manner at 3:00 in the afternoon!
I'm sorry for your Daisy!

Like I said, I'm going to keep working on the relationship with them and try to get them to go into their house but until they do it is what it is. Hawks and Owls have to eat too. I love watching the ducks waddle around and play in the pond. I hope to get eggs occasionally and will incubate eggs. I will continue to work with them and feed them and take care of them the best I can but nature will take its course.

C8B0DCF2-3BC0-4395-BED4-2C480B75F9F6.jpeg
378897F4-6680-46CE-A8F5-C7D7A60B5C72.jpeg
image.jpg
It has taken a while but for the last week or so the ducks have started using the whole pond. Today they found the island which will be interesting as the wild geese are back and that is their breeding ground.

Hard to see as I just used my phone from the kitchen window.

I hope they will be safe while they are enjoying it. Looks like waterfowl heaven.
That is an issue down here. I’m down to four. I’ve lost two since they quit getting locked up. I thought for sure I would lose them all once the coyotes found them but I guess it was a learning experience as we haven’t tlost any more.

It has been fun and interesting to see them interacting with the wild ducks and geese. The Canada geese have figured out I feed the domestics and now come over at feeding time too. The Pekins don’t finish all the kibble I put Down so I think they are getting most of what they need from the pond.

Thanks, it sounds harsh but it happens out here. You can only do so much if you want to let them live like wild birds.
Except they’re not wild birds. They have no defense against nature because they are domesticated to suit our needs. The wild animals have plenty to eat without giving them free and easy meals. Owls eat their prey alive and coyotes and hawks are a brutal way to die. Please consider keeping them safe by locking them up at night.

Except they’re not wild birds. They have no defense against nature because they are domesticated to suit our needs. The wild animals have plenty to eat without giving them free and easy meals. Owls eat their prey alive and coyotes and hawks are a brutal way to die. Please consider keeping them safe by locking them up at night.
I would be happy to if they would let me. I went to their pen and fed them every night and would herd them in but they have quit cooperating. Not much I can do when they have access to a five acre pond with an island.

Back
Top Bottom