Like a duck to water?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Paegglvr, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Paegglvr

Paegglvr Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2008
    I'm raising a pekin and cayuga and though it would be nice to give them a pool to swim in. I built ramps for them to get in and out but my ducks seem to want NOTHING to do with it.

They love to play in their drinking water, but won't even drink out of the pool... is it possible for ducks to have a pool-phobia??

2. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Mine did not want to go in the pool at first, they just looked at it, so I PUSHED THEM IN! You would have thought I killed them but they recovered quickly and had no problem using it after that.

3. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Bubba Duck was raised with chicks because he was hatched with no other ducklings around. He HATES water!

4. Paegglvr

Paegglvr Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2008
    Well I tried to put my pekin in the water.... he FREAKED out and jumped out of the pool....

5. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Yep--I just got 3 magpies and 3 pekins from my feed store about 8 weeks ago--I tried to coax them in and they wanted nothing to do with it. They acted like I was trying to drown them! LOL! So, then I just shoved them in--that doesn't work either. But they'll swim and splash the heck out of their water bowl! [​IMG] And you know how fast they grow---they're ginormous all actin' like they're dainty, little petite ducks in their bowl--then they quack at me to give them more water! I've given up...little terds....

6. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I don't think it has anything to do with the water, I think the actual pool is foreign and new to them. Maybe if you coaxed them near it with treats and then throw a few treats into the water. Maybe they just need time to adjust to that "giant" plastic monster you put in their pen. [​IMG]

-Kim

7. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    New ones I get take a while to get in the pools. They are so scared of new things, it just takes time.

8. pooponshoe

pooponshoe Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2007
    Saint Augustine, FL
    I throw lettuce in the water, she looks at it for a few minutes then goes in. I think they take a while to get use to things.

9. sBrickmanHouse

sBrickmanHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    I have no advice for you, except to say that I feel your pain!

We had our (much adored, but very messy) 3 Pekin ducklings in our guest bath tub for three weeks while we built them what we thought was duck heaven-- their own little fenced in area with a great predator proof duckhouse right next to a little backyard pond, all underneath a mature cherry tree for shade and natural treats every summer!

We thought they'd be thrilled, especially after being cramped in the tub for three weeks, but nothin' doing. Even after we've coaxed them in, pushed them in, and tossed them in, they still want nothing to do with swimming in their pond-- they treat it like a giant water bowl.

Oh well, I'm assuming they'll get into it eventually!

10. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

When we had some ducks who had come to live with us, they too were a bit wary of the pool and would drink, but not get in. I threw some dry cat food (which they LOVED as I had started throwing it to them for treats when they were young and lived at my next door neighbor's house) into the pool, and that was all it took. They scarfed up the pieces they could get to from the side, then hopped up onto the concrete block to jump in. From then on, there was no more hesitation at all. I'd dump it and refill it, and sometimes they wouldn't even wait until it was filled to jump back in. I miss them... I want ducks too!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by