Lil Duckling Having Trouble Walking

kellyhubb

Songster
9 Years
Jun 8, 2013
Greenville, SC
Hi guys, another thread I know, I have all sorts of problems :/

This is a video clip of my little black duckling who is having trouble walking. I have been giving him 10mg of niacn the past 4 days but it hasn't helped...

Any advice??

How old is it? Has it always walked like that ie is it a deformity, deficiency or injury?

He is 6 weeks old, yes he has always walked like that is a deformity of his foot.. (see attached photo), the bones in his foot have always been misshaped. It hasn't stopped him from walking but he has to sit down alot more than the other duck with regular feet. I always feel bad for him. I just noticed it bothering him more lately since he has gotten bigger, maybe cuz he has more weight to carry?

He is 6 weeks old, yes he has always walked like that is a deformity of his foot.. (see attached photo), the bones in his foot have always been misshaped. It hasn't stopped him from walking but he has to sit down alot more than the other duck with regular feet. I always feel bad for him. I just noticed it bothering him more lately since he has gotten bigger, maybe cuz he has more weight to carry?
10meg of niacin is a very small dosage, I see he has a deformed foot but possibly with more niacin his walking will get much improved, at 6 weeks I would give him at least 200megs a day in a gallon of water. mix it real good so it is dissolved. He could probably have more but start there.

Where are your ducklings housed? Do they have plenty of room to walk and run around during the day? I sometimes have a duckling that will walk a little like that- kind of stiff legged and all when they are outgrowing the brooder and need more space to be able to move around more. Making sure he gets plenty of exercise- walking and swimming will help to build up some strength.... but of course with the deformity he may always have a bit of a strange gait.

Ditto Miss Lydia and duckyfromoz, I would emphasize lukewarm bath time, deep enough to float in, under close supervision to help strengthen, stretch, and take some weight off the leg.

They are currently still living in an extra large rabbit cage but with the ability to go in and out as they like into my office room which they have full access to which is about the size of 2 fairy big horse stalls. I also take them outside to swim in the baby pool a few times a day.

Well I've been putting additional niacan and letting them swim more frequently in a luke warm water baby pool but so far not much change..:/ The other duck kinda pokes at my little gimp alot too, it is so frusterating, I wish she wouldn't. Whenever she gets bossy I seperate them so my little gimp can eat and drink without his plumper friend shoving her way to the feed

Back
Top Bottom