Lil' Pappy pulling tush feathers

two early

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 21, 2011
I have a bantam rooster that I think is pulling out (and eating) the tush feathers of my 6 hens. When they roost for the night, Lil' Pappy lays down behind all the hens that are on the roost. They all have their tushies in his face. They all have naked butts (except one, who faces inward on the roost, smart girl). I have tried uping protein, blue-kote, desitin ointment, to no avail.
This has gradually developed since we got him about 3 months ago. At that time I also changed to no-soy organic layer feed.
I don't see any pests on the bald butts. I do use DE in the pine shavings. Clean up daily. Any suggestions other that getting rid of him? Is it harmful for the hens to have bald tushies? We are in Central California, so the weather here is rarely cold.
Thanks for any help.

Usually this feather plucking is done by the hens to each other. I've never seen roosters do it. The one with the full tush of feathers who roosts in the opposite direction to the others may well be the culprit.

Watch the hens during the day as you will often see the plucking then. There could be several hens involved.

You can put pin less peepers on the culprits. They are humane and usually stop the behavior.

Thanks for a reply. I have not seen any feather pecking when I am around them.....but then that is when they are free ranging and very engaged. The one who still has tush feathers is the lowest on the totem pole, a new gal. I would never suspect her...but ya never know.
I am happy that it most likely would not be the little roo. Has anyone ever heard of a rooster that pecked hens tush feathers?

Back
Top Bottom