Lily and Essen at about 1 month

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by friendnotfood, Apr 14, 2012.

1. friendnotfood

friendnotfood New Egg

Mar 21, 2012
    Idaho
    Okay here are a couple of shots of the chicks with many more feathers and features. Any ideas?

Lily. She is larger and thicker than Essen, has large feet and thick legs. Fluffy pantaloons and is not as red in life as she appears to be in this shot. She is very inquisitive, seems to think about situations and how to solve them (finally got her heavy half feathered self out of their box the other day and was very proud of herself). Her eyes do have a green tint to them which has gotten more pronounced as she has grown. I am still hoping this is a hen because I have grown quite attached.
    [​IMG]

Essen. She has a different shape to her head than Lily does. Not as "chicken-y", more streamlined if that makes sense. She has a light comb, random black feathers, and her legs and feet have gotten a green color from the yellow/white they were when we got her. She also is very active, loves flying around, doing 'scooby-doo' burn outs on the carpet, the grass, their box, their food tray. She and Lily will start running and flapping and low flying all over the place at what seems like warp speed! Usually Essen is the one who starts the race. Also she has some good hang time when she takes off for a flight, I am hoping this is because she is lighter and has more feathers than Lily, but should I worry about this becoming something she does as an adult?!
    [​IMG]

Both of them still enjoy roosting on my shoulders and whispering secrets in my ear. If I call them to me, they will run into my lap, up my arm, and onto my shoulder. It is pretty funny to walk around with two good sized chicks perched and happy as can be. One of our cats is a huge 20 pounder that looks like a mountain lion, and he has taken it upon himself to make sure the babies are okay. If he hears them crying for any reason, he will paw and scratch and cry at my office door until someone either lets him in (if we are inside the room) or comes to check on the situation. I just about died laughing when this:
    [​IMG]

turned into a curled up ball of fur with his eyes tightly closed and trying to cover his face in the corner when the chicks started flapping and flying around the room!

Anyhow sorry to ramble. Just trying to get a better idea of what to expect with these two. It has been a while since I had something that made me laugh and smile, but their antics have me fascinated. Every moment is a learning experience. These are our first two chickens and I haven't even gotten their coop ready yet! They may be inside a wee bit longer than expected due to lack of foresight regarding that part. long story and this post is already too long...sorry....

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    the 1st is a buff cochin looks like a cockerel as for the 2nd i dont know right off the bat

3. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Second could be a California white. They're supposed to be great layers, and are built like a leghorn with some random black in their body feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by